temp blocking of drip for soldering

I have to sweat some copper pipes but the old valves won't turn off completely. Do I have to pay 8 bucks for 6 of those little egg thingies, 4 of which I won't use, to block the drip?
Is there a handy find around the house substitute? I've heard that bread balls will work, is that true?
Thanks
Lenny
Leonardo wrote:

Haven't tried it, seems like it would if you can be quick...
Why not shut off the house and repair the other cutoffs at the same time?
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Bread is the standard. I have only needed it a couple of times, but it worked.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Joseph Meehan wrote:

off
but it

Bread balls are the answer. I have used them many times.
Andy
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Appreciate the responses.
Lenny