Temorary roof repair from attic

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:57:13 -0500, Colbyt wrote:

How are things in Lexington? Did you all get much ice and have widespread power outages?
I read today that the Paducah end of the state has much more damage than Louisville.
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.

Around Lexington got far worse than we did. There were a lot of outages. Madison county is still without power on a wide spread basis.
On a personal basis we were very lucky. We lost the top of a Birch tree that needed topping anyway a some small limbs in pear tree. Lots of my neighbors right around here had it much harder. This subdivision is all underground utilities as is most of this part of town so no power went down.
The ice has melted from all the trees as I write this at 2PM. So I guess the worst is over.
Colbyt

Tony, That spray foam isnt waterproof. If you are going up in the attic, why not bring up a saw, and cut the limb off flush. You could even bring a drill and drill the branch out so it is just above the shingle line. Then get a tube of roof tar (made for a caulking gun) and caulk it shut. If the hole is too big just add a board nailed between the two roof joists. Reasonably simple and just the cost of the tube of roof tar caulking. Bubba
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:10:20 -0500, Bubba wrote:

It does say water resistant on the can. No the same as water proof, I know, but it might be good enough for a month or two.

I should have been more clear in the original post; the branch that penetrated the roof must have bounced or rolled from the exact spot of impact. It is not currently sticking through the roof, there is only an empty hole where it did penetrate.

Already have one. Pack rattery sometimes pays off.

That is similar to what I was thinking of doing if the foam doesn't hold. I have plenty of felt paper on hand. I was thinking of cutting out a square the size of about four shingles and using the roofing tar to glue it down on the roof over the hole once the snow and ice has melted.
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.
Pavlovian reinforcement. Oh, I'm also a pack rat. I just love that occasional moment when the bell rings, and I need something. Really makes my mouth water for success. Arf! Arf! Pant, pant.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Pavlovian reinforcement. Oh, I'm also a pack rat. I just love that occasional moment when the bell rings, and I need something. Really makes my mouth water for success. Arf! Arf! Pant, pant.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Lets think, hole is maybe 4" .. So hole is to small to do a hand saw unlesss you have baby girl hands. Branch is overhanging so cut Must be outside, unless your hands are of a 4 yr old girl. Drill a 4" branch, you are a ftard, did you ever drill green wood to halve it, maybe 20$ in bits and a electric drill might do it in one hourt!. 4" of roof tar caulk, great it will just fall in your face befors you finish. Your no handyman, yr an EE nut not working on quality jobs thats for sure. Here we equate the name Bubba with tard, fat, beer, greasy food, Bart Simpsons bar buddy. The guy who changed his name to Bubba Bubba Bubba in Ill. must be a real winner, you related? Remember EF is not TE or EFUE.

I've read the other replies as I went down the threads I kept saying why spray foam? I mean they make wet/dry roofing patch. Finally!, a bit down someone also came up with the novel idea.
As far as a catch for anything that does leak, use a drywall bucket. It'll hold 4.5 gal you can carry and it will fit through the scuttle access if that's what you have.
As mentioned:

Give the rim of a plastic funnel a good coat of roofing cement and stick it to the roof. Bucket below the funnel. Put a good width board across the truss chords/ceiling joists to put the bucket on and in the right place. Don't want the bucket filling with water and tipping over or falling through!
Hopefully the roof cement will prevent leaking and you won't have to worry about frequently checking bucket. Might want to take some pics from the attic side before doing anything should you make an insurance claim.
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:06:55 -0600, Red Green wrote:

I'm just looking for a temporary patch, one that will last long enough to get estimates for a proper repair.
Many of the suggestions in this thread would be good for a semi permanent patch.
But I have my doubts about those. I think all patches from the bottom are likely to result in water getting between the shingles and felt paper, and eventually soaking the roof deck. Not a situation that you want to let continue over time.

Already done.

Once the ice melts I'm expecting to find many damaged shingles, so I'm guessing there will be a claim.
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.

Absolutely temporary!
    [but remember the Red Green slogan of wisdom,      "It's only temporary...unless it works. :-) ]

None are meant to be a permanent solution whatsoever. All just to minimize any further damage and keep your ass off the death slope with the branch on it.

Maybe I missed it in your postings but you haven't called them already I assume? I'm wondering if it would be a good CYA thing you do so to document, timestamp with them and get direction; otherwise, they may say your delaying caused part of the damage and try to reduce payout percentage. ALWAYS document in YOUR records who you talked to and the date and time. They usually have a case number with all that info logged but rely on yourself. They may even point you to a roofer who works with them and is stupid enough to go on the roof now. Hopefully he will do more single damage and you'll get a new roof. Probably never match what shingles are already up there.
Red Green wrote:

My daughter had a pretty old roof, but got a new one after bad hail storm. The storm was so bad, I guess the ins. co. didn't argue with anyone. They offered! I would call asap. Even if the deck was somewhat mushy, the branch was an act of god.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:38:57 -0600, Red Green wrote:

I called my agent's office on Thursday. They were so busy, that in light of the relatively minor damage, they couldn't even schedule an adjuster, much less send one any time soon.
They said to just get three estimates for a repair and then get back in touch with them.
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.
Tony Sivori wrote:

I'm jumping in late here, but I would contact my insurance company immediately. Any delay may cause them to say that any damage that occurs once things thaw out isn't covered because you let the situation linger.
They may very well let you do the temp fix, but at least it would be on record that you contacted them, explained the situation and *they* said a temp fix was OK.
On the other hand, they may want to pay for a repair now before water finds its way under the surrounding shingles and does more damage. If they're buying, let them pay for someone to climb on the icy roof. Any other problems that show in spring will still be their problem.

Fibrated roofing cement, slathered onto a 6" square of 3/8" plywood jammed up against the roof sheathing and fastened with 4 screws long enough to JUST go through both layers of wood. Stuff the hole full of roofing cement with your putty knife just before applying the patch.
Bulldog Wet Stik or an equivalent deigned for patching in the wet would be my choice.