Temorary roof repair from attic

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What ladder would be stable with ice everywhere it touches?

Under the current conditions, ice wall climbing shoes would fit that bill.

Only possible under the conditions by staying in house.

Reply to
Red Green

Tony Sivori wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

Absolutely temporary!

[but remember the Red Green slogan of wisdom, "It's only temporary...unless it works. :-) ]

None are meant to be a permanent solution whatsoever. All just to minimize any further damage and keep your ass off the death slope with the branch on it.

Maybe I missed it in your postings but you haven't called them already I assume? I'm wondering if it would be a good CYA thing you do so to document, timestamp with them and get direction; otherwise, they may say your delaying caused part of the damage and try to reduce payout percentage. ALWAYS document in YOUR records who you talked to and the date and time. They usually have a case number with all that info logged but rely on yourself. They may even point you to a roofer who works with them and is stupid enough to go on the roof now. Hopefully he will do more single damage and you'll get a new roof. Probably never match what shingles are already up there.

Reply to
Red Green

How about just staple a large trash bag under and around the hole. Check on it to see if water is collecting or the inside of the deck is wet. This is getting to sound like fibber mcgee's closet :o)

Others have offered good safety tips - most important.

Difficult to tell from the photo, but looks like large branches overhang the roof - still loaded with ice?

Reply to
norminn

My daughter had a pretty old roof, but got a new one after bad hail storm. The storm was so bad, I guess the ins. co. didn't argue with anyone. They offered! I would call asap. Even if the deck was somewhat mushy, the branch was an act of god.

Reply to
norminn

I'm jumping in late here, but I would contact my insurance company immediately. Any delay may cause them to say that any damage that occurs once things thaw out isn't covered because you let the situation linger.

They may very well let you do the temp fix, but at least it would be on record that you contacted them, explained the situation and *they* said a temp fix was OK.

On the other hand, they may want to pay for a repair now before water finds its way under the surrounding shingles and does more damage. If they're buying, let them pay for someone to climb on the icy roof. Any other problems that show in spring will still be their problem.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Heh, no way, no how. I'm not doing anything up there (or up on a ladder) until the ice melts. The forecast high for tomorrow is 47, and above freezing again for Monday, so most of it may disappear soon.

That's what I'm worried about and why I'm leaving the branch be until later.

I'd call that one mixed luck for sure. It beats a broken back, but a pile of fresh hay would have been a more pleasant experience.

The house was built in 1955. As was common practice in this area at that time, the roof is sheathed with the concrete forming boards from the basement. The boards are 1 inch thick and of varying width, most but not all are around 1x4. The board that broke was a narrow one, based on memory probably a 1x2.

That might be what happened.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

I called my agent's office on Thursday. They were so busy, that in light of the relatively minor damage, they couldn't even schedule an adjuster, much less send one any time soon.

They said to just get three estimates for a repair and then get back in touch with them.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

How are things in Lexington? Did you all get much ice and have widespread power outages?

I read today that the Paducah end of the state has much more damage than Louisville.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Almost all the small branches in the upper right of the photo are in contact with the roof. The good news is that they are not broken and are barely touching the roof.

It was above freezing today and most of the ice fell off the wires and trees. I expect that the unbroken drooping branches will spring back to their normal position soon.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Lets think, hole is maybe 4" .. So hole is to small to do a hand saw unlesss you have baby girl hands. Branch is overhanging so cut Must be outside, unless your hands are of a 4 yr old girl. Drill a 4" branch, you are a ftard, did you ever drill green wood to halve it, maybe 20$ in bits and a electric drill might do it in one hourt!. 4" of roof tar caulk, great it will just fall in your face befors you finish. Your no handyman, yr an EE nut not working on quality jobs thats for sure. Here we equate the name Bubba with tard, fat, beer, greasy food, Bart Simpsons bar buddy. The guy who changed his name to Bubba Bubba Bubba in Ill. must be a real winner, you related? Remember EF is not TE or EFUE.

Reply to
ransley

Around Lexington got far worse than we did. There were a lot of outages. Madison county is still without power on a wide spread basis.

On a personal basis we were very lucky. We lost the top of a Birch tree that needed topping anyway a some small limbs in pear tree. Lots of my neighbors right around here had it much harder. This subdivision is all underground utilities as is most of this part of town so no power went down.

The ice has melted from all the trees as I write this at 2PM. So I guess the worst is over.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Pavlovian reinforcement. Oh, I'm also a pack rat. I just love that occasional moment when the bell rings, and I need something. Really makes my mouth water for success. Arf! Arf! Pant, pant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Pavlovian reinforcement. Oh, I'm also a pack rat. I just love that occasional moment when the bell rings, and I need something. Really makes my mouth water for success. Arf! Arf! Pant, pant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The foam held, no drips in the attic. All the snow ice melted off that side of the roof, so I was able to get up there are remove the branch and inspect the roof.

The hole seems to be the only damage. I couldn't find any cracked shingles, the worse I saw were a few cap shingles with tree bark skid marks.

I don't have any estimates yet, but it is looking like it might not exceed my $500 homeowner's deductible.

Reply to
Tony Sivori