Tell me if I've got this right.....(please)

Without 1 bit of sense?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

You can tell me, did you quit or were you escorted off the property?

Oren

Oren

If you find them, they're not "decent wireless implementations". ;-) AIUI they won't respond to improper probes (authentication needed to start the conversation).

Yes, the network. How are you going to decode the packets if you don't have the crypto keys (or lifetime access to Ft. Meade)? Need more security? Do IP tunneling.

Reply to
Keith

If you only look at one factor of security, your attacker will simply look somewhare else. ;-)

Sure, but "no one" does. Ten years or so ago we had a proposal for encrypting LAN adapters (I was hired and moved to another state lead the project). The proposal added perhaps 1% to the cost of the adapter. Alas, "no one" wanted secure PtP transactions so we got no funding for implementation.

Reply to
Keith

The NIC on this motherboard is GbE, though my switch/router and the other system is only 100Mb. Well, the other system is quite secure right now (powered off, unplugged, and sitting on the table behind me ;-).

In *theory* it's 32x33Mbps (or max implementation of 64x66Mbps), less some arbitration/address overhead. It's high enough that it'll be hard for a disk drive to saturate it. PCI is pretty much on its death bed now though.

Reply to
Keith

Yes. I was just mentioning once security factor that's usually lost when you go to wireless. I said nothing about not using others.

Probably not 100% true.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

2 of my (newest) computers have ethernet on the motherboard.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Well thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys. I got it accomplished, in spite of a few 'surprises' (osb behind the drywall, three layers of wooden subflooring, anyone?)

Interesting how this turned into a wireless vs. wired topic :-D

I still went wired, of course, but it's been interesting to follow the discussions.

Thanks everyone

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton