Tell me if I've got this right.....(please)

And it'll make you feel good, thinking about all that money and effort you saved, when your network isn't working (or someone outside used it when they weren't supposed to, and downloaded a bunch of child porn).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

It's never stopped working. Not in two years.

Possible but not likely...we are 200 yards from road and nearest neighbor.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

I wouldn't assume the OP is similarly situated.

OK, but will it stop next year?
That's kind of like saying there must be no murder problem since you've been here 30 years and haven't been killed even once during that time. Some things are still safer than others.
Of course it's still more likely to break, because of the considerably increased complexity, that a wire.

And even LESS problem with a wired network that's entirely within your house.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Sounds like it will work just fine. But it is a lot of work. However, I like a solid connection, even in these days of wireless, so I have at least one computer that can communicate securely, directly and easily with the router.
Only one caution -- when you staple the wire, be gentle. Staples driven too tightly or too deeply can break a wire inside the Cat5e cable and then it takes much time to find and fix.
TKM

There are testers that are supposed to be able to locate breaks in a cable, but they probably cost too much.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Actually, some NICs can now do TDR, and they don't seem to cost (much, if any) more than the ones that don't.
Well thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys. I got it accomplished, in spite of a few 'surprises' (osb behind the drywall, three layers of wooden subflooring, anyone?)
Interesting how this turned into a wireless vs. wired topic :-D
I still went wired, of course, but it's been interesting to follow the discussions.
Thanks everyone
-phaeton