Tell me if I've got this right.....(please)

Page 3 of 4
phaeton wrote:

You might find it easier in step 4&5 to use the regular fishing method. Form a hook on two wires, push one up from below, use other the snag the hooked end from the box cutout upstairs. Professionals us fish tape, I just use any smooth stiffish wire I have around.
Harry K

staples will short stuff out.

tools at HD. I have 4 the longest is about 4 feet long. The good ones are also flexable and have and eyelet for twine on the end. I actually use that nylon twine it's limp and drops nice.

pieces off it for complicated fishes as described above. It goes where you point it and you can bend curves in it. When it hits the second piece it's easy to hear and feel and hookup. Good luck and I agree with the wired plan. My son's girlfriend has wireless and can surf on two different neighbors setups. She prefers the one in the living room because that neighbor has a faster connection. Richard

She breaks the law and be properly tracked by the one next door.
Oren

Maybe. Though the neighbour should have their setup secured. This sort of thing is so ridiculously common, and half the time people's computers hop to their neighbour's AP without even knowing it. My favourite scenario is when a customer hops to a properly secured AP (only allows data flow to/from certain MAC addresses, for instance). This completely breaks their internet connection, and no matter how many times I step them through correcting it, they never remember it themselves, and it happens again in a few days when the neighbour has to power cycle their unit.

It's probably not good for me either, but it's the only bad substance I have left. I was only kidding, of course. And yes, he loves cheese. And ham. And hot dogs. Oh, and pizza too. And guitar picks and my socks and just about anything else he can wrap his little dog teeth around.

Excellent, thx. I'll look for these too. They sound like a better setup anyhow. So I don't have to necessarily be next to a stud in this case, I just have to *miss* the stud, right?

I would agree. I thought of going that route too, but I couldn't find anywhere to buy Cat5 in less than 100' rolls. In theory i *could* rewire the rest of the house, but it doesn't need it and i'm not motivated to do it. I'd also have to buy the crimper, which is about $30, and a 25pc bag of of RJ45 ends for about $25. I already had this pre-made 25-foot section of Cat5 (bought it some time ago and ended up not using it) so I figured I'd use it now.
I could have sworn that I've seen modular RJ45 plugs that actually had female/female connectors through the panel face. I.E. it suggested that I could just leave the RJ45 ends on the cable and simply clip it in on the inside. Or I might have hallucinated them.
Thanks everyone.
phaeton wrote:

Started happening with wireless phones and I often hear my neighbor making calls on my wireless headphones. I haven't mentioned it to her because she's paranoid enough.

to male cables to connect to your equipment. Then you only need the punch down tool and Ideal supplies a plastic one with every module. Richard

That's right. I've used those boxes for the last two houses I have owned. I ran network to every room in the house at the last place, and went to a combo wireless/wired setup for my current house. (Everyone else in the house has wireless, and I'm on the wired connection in my home office).
As far as the interence with the wireless portion of the network, I got rid of the two 2.4ghz phones I had and upgraded to the 5.8ghz ones. I got the multiple handset units with intercom to solve the need for a house intercom system also;) As far as securing it, I use the MAC address method and it works well for me. Securing mine was a must as I did a test and got good signal from my network throughout my 20 house subdivision.
Pick wrote:
<snip> As far as securing it, I use the MAC

I chuckle when I see ads for wireless devices touting their increased power and range, and the availability of repeaters. That's the _last_ thing I would want.

It'd be good for those who NEED it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

That is not considered "properly secured" anymore. It's to easy to change the MAC. Most of what I hear recommends a wireless encryption called "WPA".
Of course, you don't have this problem with a wired network, where all the wires are in an area you control.

When I had a dog, he ate a lot of Jerusalem Artichoke (not an artichoke, more like a sunflower) leaves.

If you run a piece of pre-made cable through walls, you have to make bigger holes (to get a connector through). All of the network wiring I did used smaller holes, with connectors added later.

Those are probably made. I have used such for RJ11/RJ6 connectors.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
phaeton wrote:
<snip>

I guess I'm lucky in that there's a place nearby that sells it by the foot. Even a thousand foot box can be pretty cheap, though -- I think Fry's had it on sale (non-plenum) for about $30 a box this weekend.
In theory i *could*

If you terminate the cable with female keystones instead of males (which is really how it should be done, IMHO), you just need a punchdown tool, and those can be quite cheap (I think Leviton even packages a disposable plastic one with every keystone they sell at Home Depot). Then you use a patch cable to extend from the keystone in the wall to the equipment (e.g. PC).
I already had this

proper keystone.

ahh as far as RF exposure, wireless networks are low power.
with cell phones, both base statyions of hundreds of watts, and handsets, low power at your head, regular tv and radio stations and everything else, including off power lines in appliances and walls a wireless router is a non issue.
kinda like being concerned with getting wet from rain when your swimming in a lake. sure a drop can hit you but so what.....
just my opinion

If RF is dangerous, cell phones would be considerably safer if designed with the antenna at the other end. This would have an insignificant effect on range.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Go wireless. I personally pulled hundreds of feet of Cat5 though my house. Most has been abandoned.
Wireless is great. With a wireless laptop I can access the Internet from my living room, kitchen, back porch, study, bedroom, front yard, garage, BBQ pit, RV in the driveway. Move the desktop machines without pulling more CAT5.
Wireless more than adequate for use; reading news groups, browsing the web, most Internet video/audio, and fps games .....
www.dslreports.com ... lots of good info to be found.

when it works

Wireless is good for non-fixed installations (where you move the computer frequently). For a home machine, wired is preferable (could it be that you never used a wired connection?).

and you never know when you'll want to transfer a few 1GB files between computers.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
MikeP wrote:

Wired can be faster, more secure and more reliable. Of course, if wireless is fast, secure, and reliable enough for you, it wins on convenience.

Convenience in what?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

no need to plug in an ethernet cable

Normally, you do that once.
This is a also a security feature. When you want to disconnect from the network for security reasons, wired allows a simple, 100% reliable means of doing so.
Decision making is never as easy as you might want it to be. ALL of the alternatives will have some advantages. In this case wireless eliminates the need to connect a cable (often a minor thing, bigger if it's a computer that's moved often). Wired has the advantages described previously (faster, more reliable, more secure,... ).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I don't think anyone disagrees with wired networks being better, haven't seen it in this thread. My "choice" of a LAN would be fiber optics and optic cards (wanna move files at the speed of light) , but then why do I need it other than educational. The OP originally asked about a wire from access point to upstairs. Remember he didn't mention a LAN until wireless was mentioned. When he stated his existing LAN, I stated for him to add to it.
Wireless is good. I have "never" had a problem with one wireless machine with an internal PCI card. Because I moved across town, into my newer home that presently does not have a CAT5 backbone I put a USB pocket NIC in my garage machine (second wireless) temporarily. I can say I have had some problems with it...I don't like the software and the USB driver needs to load first and a user needs to log on. I've had other things keeping me busy. My next CAT5 cable will only be a foot or so long. Routers, AP, etc is being converged into one place "with" wireless to other locations in the house. I left a backbone in the other house so those people will at least "feel" more secure.
As for hardwired, it wasn't long ago that corporations were spending and losing millions because the networks were infected by that college kid in the Philippines (can't remember the virus).
phaeton wrote:

10. Skip 1-9 and go buy a wireless router and receiver. You can get both for less than $40.