Telephone wiring question

Page 1 of 2
Hello All:
ATT advised me to go to cat 5 with my telephone wiring to improve DSL connectivity.
I've got a new dual phone receptacle to accommodate the DSL modem and a phone simultaneously.
Here is what I got: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053&productId 2698502&R 2698502
I looked up online at various sites as to how to wire, but cannot figure out the receptacle end.
Her is what the back of my receptacle looks like:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid 85de77506ba8ba&page=play&resid85DE77506BA8BA!163&authkey=*pXAHZK5NW4%24
How do I connect the cat 5 wires to this receptacle?
Thanks,
Deguza
P.S.: I found this at the Ace H/W site but it sis not make sense.
On Sep 21, 10:56pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

You do notr make sense either. The output from the telco line goes to a splitter which has telephone output and digital output. The digital output then goes to a modem or some means of connecting the digitasl output to a computer,

Hello:
There is no "splitter" involved when using DSL. Are you thinking of the filters?
After the receptacle works, I will attach a filter to one of the jacks and attach the phone there. The problem I am having is figuring out the back of the receptacle. The receptacle has solid colored wires and only two pairs of them. The cat 5 cable has striped lines and four pairs of them.
See this: http://wiringwizard.com/primer/cables/cat5 /
Regards
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:46:17 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

the orange-white green. Wire up one set. Do the same with, say blue/ blue-white for the red/green on the other set. Then use the , say, brown/brown-white as the black/green on one set, etc untill you are done. You really only need one pair per jack - the second pair is for "line 2".
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 21:47:50 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

DSL does not. All the filter does is takes out the audible portion of the dsl signal so the phone line is not noizy.
You only need 1 pair of wires to each jack - follow your colour code to be sure you do not "split a pair" The twisted wires almost totally eliminate "common mode noise" from the lines.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053&productId 2698502&R 2698502

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid 85de77506ba8ba&page=play&resid85DE77506BA8BA!163&authkey=*pXAHZK5NW4%24
I am not sure, but I think you attach the blue pair of wires to the red and green screws (solid blue wire to red screw and blue stripe wire to green screw); and the orange pair to the yellow and black screws (solid orange wire to the yellow screw and orange stripe wire to the black screw). Or, maybe just do the blue pair connections and skip the orange pair connections. You may only need two wires connected -- I am not sure.
Try that and see if it works.
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 20:56:15 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Match the wire colors to the wires on that receptacle. You have blue and blue/white wires there and that is all you will be using unless you have 2 lines. Then you would also be using the orange pair.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053&productId 2698502&R 2698502

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid 85de77506ba8ba&page=play&resid85DE77506BA8BA!163&authkey=*pXAHZK5NW4%24
telephone wire so how is cat five going to help. Its like putting a larger pipe after a smaller pipe. The "splitter" mentioned elsewhere is a split filter. One side goes to modem and other to phone. Single filters are needed for all other phone lines.

Well, ATT tech was the one who said Cat 5 is what they put these days. In fact, he gave me the wire. I was using old wiring and DSL was losing speed or completely going out all the time. Fortunately there was a second unused Cat 3 interior line that went to the bedroom that we ATT switched us to, and the problems went away. That's when the ATT tech handed me the Cat 5 cable...
Since this line is dedicated to DSL, I don't use any filters.
Thanks!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053&productId 2698502&R 2698502

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid 85de77506ba8ba&page=play&resid85DE77506BA8BA!163&authkey=*pXAHZK5NW4%24
*It would have been easier with a 4 pair jack, but this will work. The green and black are "Tip" and the red and yellow are "Ring"
On Jack #1 Connect the blue with white stripe to the green. Connect the blue to red. Connect the orange with white stripe to black. Connect the orange to yellow.
On Jack #2 Connect the green with white stripe to the green. Connect the green to red. Connect the brown with white stripe to black. Connect the brown to yellow.
Here's a link to help: http://www.mrelectrician.tv/conversioncharts/telephone.html

Thanks for this.
Jack 1 and Jack 2 are connected with wires running between the terminals. So green on Jack 1 and 2 are the same....
Does this make any difference in what you wrote? Maybe I leave the green and brown out of the equation?
Thanks!

Thanks for this.
Jack 1 and Jack 2 are connected with wires running between the terminals. So green on Jack 1 and 2 are the same....
Does this make any difference in what you wrote? Maybe I leave the green and brown out of the equation?
Thanks!
*Right. Just don't use the extra pairs. Coil them up and push them into the wall.

help:http://www.mrelectrician.tv/conversioncharts/telephone.html- Hide quoted text -

assuming that you are putting the filter in line with the wire going to the phone, right? Stated again to be clear, the filter plugs into one of the 2 jacks on the plate, and then the phone is plugged into the filter. The DSL modem would then plug directly (no filter) into the other jack in the plate. In many cases, and in my house too, only one filter is used for the whole house. The output of that filter goes to all the phones in the house. A second line, unfiltered, coming from the interface where the line enters the house, only goes to the DSL modem. So it appears that in your case, you would really only connect the blue/white pair to the red and green screws as was stated above. That would now activate both jacks because they are tied together.
Typically, the other 2 screws (yellow and black) are used for other things .... possibly a 2nd line where you have a 2 line phone, or possibly to bring power to older phone that had lighted dials. Also, in times gone by, the yellow was used mostly rural homes where you had 4 or 8 party lines, for the ringer.
The probable reason for suggesting CAT5 cable is that the pairs are much tighter twisted and keep crosstalk lower. I'm not sure I would do this, but I know people do use one CAT5 cable for both telephone and data. Data usually only uses 2 pairs, telephone only uses one pair.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053&productId 2698502&R 2698502

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid 85de77506ba8ba&page=play&resid85DE77506BA8BA!163&authkey=*pXAHZK5NW4%24
It doesn't matter (much). The technician suggested Cat-5 wire because of the physical characteristics of the wire. The pairs within the cable has a specific twist throughout their length to minimize or cancel interference.
You should let your wife pick a color scheme compatible with her sensibilities. Connect the incoming red-green pair to one set of colors (e.g., blue-white, white-blue) and the yellow-black to another set of colors.
Whatever wires (there should be four) that are left over are not used. Clip them off and forget about them.

As I wrote earlier to another message, the old cable (I think it is the original from 1950s) gave us problems. That's when the ATT tech suggested replacing it with Cat 5.
I don't like the idea of having the wife choose the colors: It'' take her weeks before she can make up her mind :)
Thanks!
On 09/22/2011 07:52 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I wouldn't clip them, might want to add multiple phone lines (you can carry four on a CAT5 or CAT6) or repurpose the cable run as Ethernet down the road.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Good point. I believe the accepted practice is to wind the unused wires around the cable.
On Sep 21, 8:56pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Thanks to all who wrote.
My DSL is working on the new Cat 5 line now.
I asked my wife to check it during the day to assure no disconnects, etc. She says everything works smoothly. There is telephone service on this line, although we do not use it, it functions properly as well.

Why don't you use the phone service on the DSL line? Are you paying for another separate line for phone service or don't you use any land line phone? One of the advantages of DSL is that you don't need to pay for 2 lines.

Tony,
We don't use the landline based phone. Skype is our primary phone. My wife and I both have telephone numbers for our Skype accounts. I can pick up my calls to my Skype number either on my computer or on my Android smart phone.
Since we needed a telephone service that is tied to a physical line and an address we kept the telephone service.
Thanks