Telephone Wiring Mystery

Page 1 of 4
I bought a new, modular, twin-telephone-jack outlet box cover, and bridged the two jacks to be in parallel.
I added wire-stubs to furnish twist-together jumpers for the incoming wire (easier to add the stubs on the bench, than to deal with the screw-connectors, crouched in a dark corner).
I wanted to check continuity, so I cut a modular cord in half and bared the wires on one half so I could use an ammeter to check.
What I found was that black & yellow are reversed, and red & green are reversed. The colors are that way on the plate that I bought (short wires with forked terminals in the ends, under the screw-heads). Is this normal? Does it make a difference? It seems to me that if it didn't make any difference, there would be no point to having four wire colors--two of one color, and two of another color would do it.
--
croy

By forked terminals do you mean spade lugs? Ar you sure you didn't make the reversal when you made the measurements. Looking at things from the front, they are opposite than when looking at them from the back.
That said, you can usually reverse R + G, and Bl + Yel. Without knowing what you are connecting, it is impossible to say for 100% surety. For example, some pots telephones will not work if their polarity is reversed. You can answer, and can listen and talk, but the touchpad to output touchtones will not work. Other phones have internal bridges that solve that problem.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 13:12:26 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob)

I suppose. The kind where you only need to loosen the screw to get the terminal free.

Just going by color. My improvised patch cord has the same colors as the colors that came in the cover plate.

Telephone and computer DSL line.

--
Thanks,
croy

On 12/30/2012 1:34 PM, croy wrote:

Or where you are. In the USA, red/green is what most people use. The black/yellow is for a second phone line.
Are you sure your cable is wired with the proper colors?
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=rj-11+color&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights
Or, power for lighted dial.
The black/yellow is for a second phone line.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 17:07:32 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Geeezzzzz, I dont think they've made lighted dial phones since the 1960s.
They havn't used tip and ring nomenclature, for that time, also.

Geeezzzzz, I dont think they've made lighted dial phones since the 1960s.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 18:43:29 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Yup, when was the last time you saw a phone jack in a phone system? (where tip and ring came from)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The last intercom I installed used "tip and ring" terminology, that was last May
--
PV

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and
drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever."
A tip o' the hat to you, and that's why they rang.

The last intercom I installed used "tip and ring" terminology, that was last May
--
PV

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and
drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever."
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 20:50:39 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You know, I just learned that on sci.electronics.repair.
I've been using the terms for about 50 years, and I thought the ring was the wire the ring came in on, and the tip was the other one, maybe because it tipped some circuit when the voltage got high enough.
I only figured it out this past summer when I asked about what turned out to be callled a TRR plug, a tip, ring, ring plug.
On 12/30/2012 8:29 PM, micky wrote:

Probably a TRS plug - tip, ring, sleeve.
In the good-old-days when phone connections were made through an operator switchboard with patch cords an extra wire was added to the subscriber pair at the central office. The extra wire was to determine whether the pair was already in use. All the operator jacks had to have connections for all 3 wires - tip, ring, sleeve. The control wire connected to the sleeve. The operator touched tip of the patch cord plug - connected to their headset - to the end of the jack, the sleeve. If in use there was 48 volts (?) and the operator heard a click. Then lights were added for each jack. Mechanical switching centers also carried a 3rd wire at the central offices.
On 12/30/2012 06:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And back in the '60s, our Phone Company charged an extra $0.50 monthly fee for a lighted dial.

In those days they charged that much for a longer handset cord.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 17:13:00 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

The Princess Phone It's little It's lovely and it lights!
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 17:13:00 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

(I"m still looking for a pink princess) . For a while I actually had the transformer in the basement and ran the light off t he black and yellow.

I know they had them in the 70's, probably 80's. I think I have a conair wall phone in my kitchen, right now.
Greg

I just remembered I had a nice AT&T self lighted phone , that was really nice while it worked. That was a latter model. Good money too.
Greg

Even my cell phone has a lighted dial. ;-)
On 12/30/2012 05:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I got a lighted-dial phone in my first apartment (about 1980), however it was powered by the phone line and lit only during a call.
Someone had left an old transformer connected to the yellow/black wires.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us