telephone wiring for Vonage

I just got Vonage (www.vonage.com), a DSL service for voice telephone. It has a jack from a modem for your telephone, which works just fine. However, I was wondering if I could plug it into the existing telephone (POTS) wiring in the house. I did but it does not work. Is there any way that I can use the existing home wiring for this.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Ask Vonage. We've got three of them, each plugged into our PBX system as if they were POTS trunk lines.
Of course if your existing house wiring is still connected to the telephone company wires, all bets are off.
I have my Vonage box plugged into my home's POTS wiring (just picked any jack in my home and plugged the Vonage box into that instead of a telelphone). BEFORE doing so, I unhooked the incoming phone line from the street at my phone box on the side of the house. Also, if your home is/was ever wired for two lines in the past it could cause problems. This has worked for almost 2 years for me.
HeyBub wrote:

i changed to wowcable co. they just plugged the modem to a regular telephone outlet. now all the outlets work.
If you have the grey telephone network interface (TNI) box on your house try this:
Open the TNI box and unplug the jack Plug you modem into a known working wall jack All other jacks in the house should now work
If you don't have the TNI box you will have to disconnect the phone company wires from the distribution block.
Yea, I disconnnected the wiring from the old telephone co. I just found out that I need a switch which swaps the wiring. I should have plugged it into the TNI box, but it was outside, and did not want my line to go out of the house (afraid that someone might tap in).
if a vonage or other VOIP box gets connected even for a second to the OLD voltage network of a regular phone you will need a new VOIP box.
Regular phone line voltage fries them..

When you disconnect at the demarc or connector block, TAPE OVER the rj11 or spade lugs, and tag the line. Phone company sometimes does go to wrong address, and if you happen to live in a duplex or something, the odds go up. Any time you do anything non-standard in a box where trades or amatuers may be in there, leave notes as to what you did. Personally, I would disconnect in basement where the wires are split out.
aem sends...

Good point.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Piggyback question:
I have two POTS lines, and am in the process of switching one to Vonage. My existing lines run on physically separate wires and work well on all of my 2-line telephones as long as both lines are plugged into ONE of the phones. Will I be able to do this with Vonage, or will I need separate telephones?
--
nj_dilettante
in the words of the immortal Sgt Schultz:
nj_dilettante wrote:

bad idea if the phone has a conference capability, just a split second cross connect and vonage adapter is toast:(
If you want to use the existing wiring and plugs with a VoIP service, you need to connect the VoIP service to the initial connection.
You wired phone comes in from outside and connects to an initial 2pair of wires. That is where you need to make the connection from the VoIP box; once that's done, the rest of the plugs will be working on Vonage.

MP wrote:

No you don't, the jacks in a house are wired in parallel. Once you disconnest from the network you can connect anywhere. My modem is plugged into a jack upstairs and every other jack (5 others) work fine.
On 30 May 2006 12:27:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Vonage should work over ANY broadband internet connection (such as cable). It is not DSL-specific.

You can. Just make sure the regular phoneline is disconnected FIRST.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com