Telephone Wiring

This a question abbout telephone wiring on a UK phone system.
I used to have a BT phone in my house an this was connected directly to the master phone socket using the cable that came with the phone. When the house was re-floored they but this cable under the new wooden floor. This cable worked OK with my old BT phone but wehn I connected a new Cable and Wireless phone to this cable it would not work and I got no dial tone. The new phone will work when I connect the new cable that came with it directly to the socked but I want to find a way of using the cable under the floor with my new phone if possible. This cabled has two wires. I have tried reversing the poalrity of these to see if this would make a difference but this has not worked. Does anybody know of something that I can do to enable me to use my new phone with the cable supplied with the older BT phone.
BTW the older phone is less than one year old.
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

From a US resident not familiar with UK telephone wiring.
What is the advantage or purpose of having the ring capacitor external to the phone and running 3 wires to each phone extension?
Just curious...
Beachcomber
Thanks for that. From reading this I thought that all I had to do was use an extension box to swap the wires around. However, this does not seem to have worked. Have you any idea why this might be ?