Telephone wire

Page 3 of 3
On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:43:52 PM UTC-4, net cop wrote:

You're nicking it as you cut off the insulation. It's probably pretty cheap copper but it'll handle getting bent around the screw post once if you don't nick it.
On 7/9/2013 12:27 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

One of my suppliers sells copper clad aluminum CAT5 cable which may not be as workable as all copper. It's possible that you got a similar wire which costs less than the all copper conductor cable. Back in the 1970's I worked in the electrical supply business when aluminum ROMEX appeared on the market and some manufacturers developed copper clad aluminum ROMEX as a safer wire to use which didn't require special connectors. I remember getting in a roll of copper clad thermostat cable and it was so light, I thought something was wrong. I stripped some of the wire scraped it with a knife and saw the aluminum core. Needless to say, some of the salesmen were freaked out about it. You can scrape the wire to see if it has an aluminum core which could explain you trouble using it. o_O
TDD