Telephone will not dial out--the kind of phone with no AC power

Hey, that's unAmerican, or at least unTelphonian. In the United States of Telephone, all phones are created equal.

Oh. OK.
You do know that the phone company must supply power to the phone lines for running the old phones don't you?
It is obvious that you are suffering a power shortage on your phone line and you can ask the phone company to provide the proper power to your phone lines.
Some of your 'powered' phones are masking your line problem.
On 22 Jan 2007 22:09:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@vom.com wrote:

if you have a NID try plugging phone in there, it disconnects your entire home. proves one way or other if phone or internal wiring of home has trouble
i would try first plugging the suspect phone in a different outlet

It's required for NEW phones, too. It's called "dial tone" or "battery".

A "power shortage", eh? I knew it. We need a new government bureaucracy to address our dependence on FOREIGN DIALTONE. <sigh>

Say what? ...as if there's a master potentiometer out there somewhere.

Who WAS that masked phone?
--
:)
JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Jim Redelfs posted for all of us...

Heh heh heh good one!

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:41:16 -0600, Jim Redelfs

Phoney McRing-Ring?
On 22 Jan 2007 22:09:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@vom.com wrote:

Try dialing by banging on the switch-hook.

Use the new, $10 Radio Shaft phone for this exercise.
I suggest using a 16-lb sledgehammer.
FWIW, the correct term for "banging on the switch-hook" is "flashing the switch-hook". Many modern phones have a "flash" key, but is usable only for a SINGLE flash to switch between callers in Call Waiting mode.
Did you know you can "dial" and entire number by simply/quickly "flashing" the switch-hook? It's called pulsing the line.
Flash the switch-hook, in rapid succession, 5 times for the number 5; 8 times for the number 8; and so on. It really works but you have to be VERY nimble with your finger on the switch-hook and ACCURATE with the short pause between each pulsed number. Talk about worthless trivia...
--
:)
JR

Mean Evil Bell System

I used to have to do this with an old modem hooked into my CoCo. The phone and modem were polarity dependent and opposite.
With one polarity, the phone didn't work (for dialing). With the other the mode, the modem wouldn't work.
The access number had multiple 8s, 9s, and 0s... which made it a real killer to mess up. Plenty of negative reinforcement to get it right the first time. I was eventually able to dial most numbers without too much problem.
--
flip
Just on the border of your waking mind, There lies - Another time,

Amazing!
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:48:48 -0600, Jim Redelfs

The days are gone when you can get the attention of the switchboard operator by flashing the hook a lot.

I'm hoping to be kidnapped and held for ransom with only a phone line or a locked phone available, so I can do that, and rescue a beautiful woman, also.

Not if you're being held for ransom!
snipped-for-privacy@vom.com wrote:

There is usually a box on the outside wall , its the demarcation point between your hose wiring and the phone companies line.
In there is usually a test point that you can plug a phone into . If it works there the problem is in your house wiring.
I have actually never seen a domestic phone that required outside power . The phone is powered via the phone line .
If you are reversing pairs make sure you are reversing the correct line.
On 23 Jan 2007 12:28:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
[snip]

On recent installations. Older ones just have a junction box with a surge suppressor.

Cordless phones always require outside power.

It's usually the wires connected to the center 2 pins of the phone jack.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
OK everyone. Here's where I am so far. I didn't think I'd get any response! I'm glad to see there is so much knowledge out there.
Bottom line is that I got the original phone working and now it dials out fine. The next to the bottom line is that I don't know what I did. The new Radio Shack phone still doesn't dial out on tone, but it works OK on pulse.
I had already disconnected all the other devices in my house and I'm pretty sure I reversed the correct wires. Last night the old phone wouldn't dial out. Today I repeated all my efforts and the phone worked! I assume there was a bad connection somewhere or maybe a nicked wire or something. I don't know that I'll ever find the precise problem.
I checked outside my 30-year-old house. There is an old junction box; no modern plugs! It was getting dark so I just took a wrench and tightened the nuts. Each nut tightened a little and I could see some green corrosion on most of the metal parts. Next time the phone doesn't work, I'll do a thorough cleaning of this box.
I tried the new Radio Shack phone with spade lugs at the junction box, and the tone dial still doesn't work. I'll try it at a neighbor's house when I get a chance.
For the record, the old phone is from Western Electric and the date on its base is 11/80. There is a sticker on the bottom certifying that it was properly sold (to me I guess, but I don't remember) on such-and-such a date, but the date is unreadable.
The new Radio Shack phone cost $11. When you figure that Radio Shack had to make a profit on it, the packaging had to be paid for, and it had to be shipped from China; there can't be much quality to the guts inside.
This brings up the issue of what the "phone company" used to be. If you're old enough to remember it, then you know. The youngsters wouldn't believe it anyway.
I remember in the early '60's touring a central office. I do remember banks of batteries waiting for the day they'd power the system. Even then, there was a crew of old timers who communicated with these batteries and kept them charged. I doubt such skills exist today.
Lastly, when the earthquake comes, (and it will), if we lose power, it will be out for months. During that time wouldn't it be silly to have a live phone line into the house and not be able to use it because I didn't have a phone that didn't need AC power?
I forget the name the gentleman called me, but it's a name his wife might call him if he gets his family in that situation. A neighbor of mine took some courses in emergency civilian response. They warned the class about how many people would get themselves into situations from which they would have to be rescued. I was afraid the warning was exaggerated, but that cellphone comment removes my doubt.
Thanks everyone. I'll be back if the phone acts up again.
RC

On 23 Jan 2007 20:27:22 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@vom.com wrote:
[snip]

I got to see a CO when I was in college. They said many of the batteries came out of submarines.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I'd never heard that but certainly believe it.
I wonder if we'll get their used nukes? <bg>
--
:)
JR

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:09:50 -0600, Jim Redelfs

I think I heard that a tenth of the electricy in Europe or the US, or a fifth of the nuclear made electricity, something like that, comes from old Soviet bombs.

I watched the War -er- HISTORY channel a couple days ago. It was Modern Marvels, I recall. They claimed that a good portion of the nuclear fuel for our power plants now comes from decommissioned (destroyed/dismantled) Soviet/Russian missile warheads.
--
:)
JR

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 06:22:56 -0600, Jim Redelfs

I remember hearing that those things (nuclear warheads) get old and have to be replaced every 10 years.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 16:30:38 -0600, Mark Lloyd

Well, If the material you're using has a half life of 87 years, and you want at least 90% of the designed bang, how long before you have to re-refine the stuff? I get around 13 years, but I'm not all that sure of my math. (10 years comes out to 92 percent of the designed boom.)