Telephone Service

Page 2 of 5

On Fri 25 Sep 2009 03:26:32p, Don Wiss told us...

Only if you have a "plain vanilla" phone directly plugged into the jack or hard-wired. Cordless phones of any ilk are dependent only local AC power in the house for signal transmission.
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 02:34:21 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

My Uniden fancy phone doesn't do special functions, not even redial, in a power failure, but the phone itself still works then. It has a cord to the handset, and a cordless phone elsewhere.
On Fri 25 Sep 2009 08:51:02p, mm told us...

Obviously yours is different and probably not in the majority. Anyone who wants a phone that requires nothing more than connection to a phone line should shop wisely.
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

It is getting real hard to find single-line corded phones without bells and whistles in the stores, other than entry-level plastic throw-aways that often don't even have any electronics in the base. Terrible sound quality and poor durability. Glad I have a crate of old real phones in the basement- I'm not even seeing real phones at garage sales very often any more. If you ever see any old Ma Bell desk phones at a sale for under five bucks, snap them up. Even an old 500 series rotary dial will probably outlive you. You can always hook it up in the basement or workshop to answer calls on. And if you have a real phone line rather than VOIP, rotary dial still usually works to dial out. (and it is fun to see kid's faces as they try to use it to make a call...)
-- aem sends...
I wonder if eventually, the phone co will do away with rotary dialing ability? Most everyone uses touch tone. I remember when touch tone came out in 1974, some where there abouts. We all thought it was really neat stuff.
Yes, good idea to keep at least one old fashioned phone hooked up. In my part of the world, we have power cuts at least once a year.
Also, please have at least one cell phone charger you can use in the car. Car powered phone-chargers will also usually work off a battery booster pack with lighter socket.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I'm not contradicting your date, but interewstingly enough, in 1956, my friend's father took us to the Lawrence County farm show, in western Pa., New Castle. and they were demonstrating touch-tone phones.
Actually the one they showed was also programmable, sort of. It had no memory, but it came with plastic cards, two by three inches or a little bigger, about an eigth inch thick, with maybe 7 holes in each row (at least more than 4, which is all that is necessary to represent number 1-0. the other holes must have been there for things planned and not yet planned.) and enough rows for a 10 digit phone number, I think. The centers of the holes were not totally connected to the cards, only with "spokes" and could be pushed out, to represent the number to be called. There was a place at the top to write the person's name. You pushed the card in the top of the phone and pushed a button and iirc it popped out, a number at a time ,but quickly, as it dialed, but with tones.
They have a lot of lead time on these things.

Here too. There was an hour on Friday. And once for two days.

mm wrote:

From Google:
Nov 1963 - The TOUCH-TONE telephone made its Bell System commercial debut in November, 1963 and is well on its way to success. Customer enthusiasm for the new pushbutton service can be seen in some typical comments:. "The whole thing is like magic. You can dial very ...The TOUCH-TONE telephone made its Bell System commercial debut in November, 1963 and is well on its way to success. Customer enthusiasm for the new pushbutton service can be seen in some typical comments:. "The whole thing is like magic. You can dial very fast and it's just wonderful." "Speed, simplicity...the sound is delightful."
TDD

7 holes... sounds like they might correspond to the 4 rows & 3 columns on the keypad? Do you happen to remember if they were punched out in pairs?
Eric Law

Well there are four horizontal frequencies and three vertical ones IIRC. Each digit button etc. sends a pair of frequencies. A total of 12. All generated within the 'touch-tone' keypad using the small current flowing from the telephone switch/exchange after dial tone has been obtained. So by adding a fourth frequency (vertically) another four combinations of signals could have been generated; a total of 16.
stan wrote:

As noted upstream, the standard does include a 4x4 grid. On civilian phones, they just leave off the 4th row of buttons. Somewhere I have an early TT 2500, with no # and * buttons- same sort of deal.
Can't remember what the symbols for the extra 4 buttons were, though.
Let's ask Google- here we go- http://www.prc68.com/I/TA838.shtml#MTT
ABCD, or FO F I P, with # and * being replaced by C and R.
-- aem sends...
Here's a better one with clearer pictures.
http://www.porticus.org/bell/telephones-technical_dials-touchtone.html
man I love the internet- any silly-ass trivia question that comes up, odds are the answer is seconds away....
aem sends...
Oh, it's very possible the technology was sooner than that. I remember about that same time, mid seventies, I saw a demo of a picture phone, at the telco. Black and white, but still very impressive. Now, we have web cams.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I could be wrong about seven. I have an image in my head, even after 50 years, of what the card looked like, and when I zoom in it looks like 7, but if I zoom in further, I get a warning that the daThe goal was to make it simple. This was long before 90% of people had heard of hexadecimal arithmetic.

I don't think they were. It was meant to be very easy for an, as yet, not very technical public. In those days, only a few people knew how to plug speakers and a turntable into the back of an amplifier.

Maybe it was 1974 as you had a rural phone company, but the touch tones were defined in the early 1960s and I have two touch tone Trimline phones here that date from 1969-1971.

years ago I had a person here that was supposed to be servicing my oil burner. He did not know how to use the phone. I should have show him the door then instead of allow him to damage my burner that he charged me for. /Something to do with the oil pump. I could not prove it but I swear he sold me a bill of crap.
Don Wiss wrote:

You have some of the phones that can double as weapons. You can hit someone over the head with one of those and take em out. *snicker*
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

military. The TT standard actually includes a 4th row of buttons down the right-hand side, used for special functions on the military phone networks of the day. All OBE now of course, now that everything is electronic, and most of the military phone systems are just now virtual networks riding the same long lines as everyone else. About the only dedicated physical circuits are between the larger installations.
-- aem sends...
On Sun 27 Sep 2009 06:08:04p, The Daring Dufas told us...

I have only one land line phone in the house. It's an antique Bell System Model 202, like the one pictured, but in cast brass housing. It's in perfect working condition, along with the separate bell box, but is not currently connected. In an emergency it could be.
http://www.arctos.com/dial/
We rely solely on our cell phones for incoming and outgoing calls. The land line is only connected to our fax machine.
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

A dozen years ago, I fixed a garage door for a nice lady and her mom. The nice lady was 75 and her mother was 100 years old. They had a model 302 phone that they were still leasing from BellSouth.
TDD
On Mon 28 Sep 2009 09:33:26p, The Daring Dufas told us...

I got my 202 from my grandparents when they "traded up" to a touch-tone desk set. :-) That 202 was the first phone they ever had, I think from the late 1920s.
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~