telephone rings at night

Page 3 of 3

I promise to post it if and when we find the cure.

My phone does that too. It is not really a full ring interval but just enough to make some noise. I also notice the "in use" lights on my ATT 922 phone flickerring on and off occasionally for no reason. I assume it is just "homeland" poking around.
Most obvious question do you have a cordless phone?
Most phone troubles can be traced to cordless phones, for mant thats all they own.
if the OP is using cordless unplug ALL of them and try a single wired phone for a few days.
I fix machines for a living, the mystic unexplained troubles drive me nuts. I can understand the phone rep wanting to find the answer.
no doubt theres a work around available like building a box that ignores the phone lines first ring so you cant hear it.......
let us know what the cause was

It is virtually impossible that the trouble is caused by something INSIDE your home. I'm hard pressed to think of something in the home that would generate ringing current, much less on a REGULAR basis.
Many Central Offices run a regular, automatic routine known as a LIT - Line Insulation Test - on virtually all lines it serves. Basically, this operation runs every night - mine is ~8:00pm without fail. I will notice the [line in use] lamp illuminate briefly on the set next to my chair or on my desk.
Most telephones have no problem with this test and remain silent. Some phones, particularly "cheapie chirpers", don't like the THRASHING that the line is given during the test and will "groan" or ring, although it is usually a "half" ring.
Removing a line from this automatic LIT (test) is occasionally done for those customers that complain with symptoms similar to yours. Removing a line, however, from the automatic test is NOT quick or easy. But, if your line has in fact been eliminated from the routine, the trouble is elsewhere.
In the following order, I would switch the segments that comprise the typical line:
1. Cut-to-clear (suspicion) the COE (Central Office Equipment) or remote terminal pair;
2. Cut-to-clear (suspicion) the F1 pair;
3. Cut-to-clear (suspicion) the F2 pair;
4. Cut-to-clear (suspicion) additional segments, if present;
After each item, I would wait a few days to see if the trouble clears. If it persists, I would perform the next step.
You may have to become a "squeaky wheel". Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
--
:)
JR

jerryl wrote:

Hi, Does your utility(gas, water, power) by any chance read the meter via phone line? Wonder if they have anything to do with it. Ring needs quite a bit of AC current. I'd disconnect phone line for a day or two to make sure of it's origin.

We had a problem some time ago that was somewhat similar. The phone would occasionally ring in the late afternoon, and the phone was just about unuseable. At other times of the day it was normal.
It turned out to be a chunk of wire between the demark point and the interior distribution point that shorted somehow when the outside temperature and moisture level hit a specific point.
Also look for any other wire crossing the phone line. Contacting could depend on temperature.
Or someone is playing tricks on you.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Probably a MLT (Mini Line Test) being done. There is a test system that is between each line from the switch, and the calble plant. Periodically, the test system looks towards the switch for dial tone, etc., and towards the cable plant (the pairs heading towards your house) for faults. While a normal phone with a bell doesn't make any noise, phones with electronic ringers will sometimes chirp, or whatever when they are re-attached to the switch.
Ask them if they've ever heard of the following names:
http://www.teradyneservicelink.com/4tel /
heikimian
Had a doorbell line short once and ring the bell at wierd times, noticed it was when the hot water tank burner turned off or on. Wire was too close to gas line shook gas line found short.
to elminate ANY interior wierd issue so phone company CANT blame your wiring and charge you for service tech its simple.
buy some cheap phone cords and plug directly into phone interface bypassing your entire indoor system, run wire in window for test you can leave it that way for days if not weeks.
if it still occurs you have proven its not you.
theres always the chance someone wants a different number dials yours by mistake, realizes their mistake and hangs up fast. people can make repetive errors.might be from a different time zone.
might try star 57 thats the abuse caller number goes directly to law inforcement and uses ANI rater than caller ID. it might capture that info cant harm trying!
ani is auto number identification and cant be blocked
Change your number OR go to the Doctor and have him write a script for AMBIEN you will sleep through the night, after taking two of these babies. Need a little more info on your problem, such as, new phones, wireless phones, reversed tip and ring, new wiring, alarm company 24 hour monitoring, electronic bullet for direct TV, did you "piss off" someone, did you vote for Bush, any bumper stickers, bad credit, ex lovers, X Files, bounty hunters, holes in roof, dreams, drugs, angry dwarfs, loose snakes, UFO's, CIA, FBI, KGB, IRS, etc. Get back to us, we speak your language, we know your #. BIG BROTHER is WATCHING.