telephone rings at night

I like this idea. Regardless of the bickering over what the ring voltage is *supposed* to be, a test recorder would show whether what is coming down the line in the middle of the night resembles what you are getting from the central office switch on a normal ring. If it's the same then an actual call or something with the switch is the likely culprit. If not then maybe crossed wires, induced voltage, etc.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

Probably a MLT (Mini Line Test) being done. There is a test system that is between each line from the switch, and the calble plant. Periodically, the test system looks towards the switch for dial tone, etc., and towards the cable plant (the pairs heading towards your house) for faults. While a normal phone with a bell doesn't make any noise, phones with electronic ringers will sometimes chirp, or whatever when they are re-attached to the switch.

Ask them if they've ever heard of the following names:

heikimian

Reply to
Bob

If the ringer used DC, those ring-control cords wouldn't work. Such a cord uses a full-wave rectifier.

The AC ring (75VAC here) is on the same wire as the 50VDC talk voltage. The combined voltage would vary from -25V to +125V (50+-75). Removing the AC component allows the phone to work but with no ring.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

20Hz sounds right, although there may be different frequencies in use elsewhere.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

DC voltage when phone off-hook. The audio is about 1VAC.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I wouldn't change my number for one ring every night. I would just consider it the phone company's way of saying they hadn't disconnected me.

Reply to
mm

Jim is right. 2 to 4 AM is the low-rate calling period for spirits. This actually interferes with a lot of their other activities

Reply to
mm

About 35 years ago, I measured the voltage in Chicago, and it was a lot lower than 90. I think I measured it in NYC or Baltimore and it was 90 or near there. I don't know if the difference is time or distance. But I wouldn't be surprised if the voltage varies by location.

Not yet, but the OP needs more garlic.

Reply to
mm

I guess you don't have any children or grandchildren that drive and come home late and you don't have to worry about one of them getting into an accident?

Reply to
jerryl

I"m sorry. Didn't you read the post I went to the trouble to write for you where I suggested using a phone machine, which would ignore one ring and answer if there were more?

Like I said, I wouldn't change my number for one ring each night.

Reply to
mm