telephone rings at night

Page 1 of 3
We're at our wit's end. We have a problem that Bellsouth cannot fix or find the cause of. The phones in the house give one short ring, usually in the middle of the night or early morning. Only heard it once during the daytime. Caller ID shows nothing. Bellsouth has checked all their connections. They put a block on their computer that automatically checks lines. I've disconnected all phone lines connected from my DirecTV and DSL and router to no avail. There is nothing else to disconnect and yet it still rings. Anyone have any ideas?

What about just turning off all the bells at night? If you need to get emergency messages you can leave a phone machine on, with volume on high. You can move it next to the bed if necessary. If it only rings once and short, it probably won't turn the phone machine on.
I have 9 phones in my house, but only one bell per floor. Sometimes I change things and only have one bell turned on for the whole house, and when I really need to sleep in the morning, I turn that off too.
If you can't "turn" it off, you can open the phone and cut a wire, or put a splice a wire with a switch in it, going to the outside of the phone. Or change to a different model phone. Or you might be able to just put some blankets and pillows over it at night.
Or arre you asking how to find out who is calling you and stop him?
At work it was the other problem, too many outgoing toll calls. They installed possibly expensive software, and maybe some hardware, that kept a record, of which extension made each call. Maybe 300 or 500 phones in the various buildings. It turned out it was the Coke machine. The Coke machine was set up to call the supplier whenever it was running out of cups or syrup or spritzer, and the number was in the next area code. No problem, except the machine went bad and was calling over and over, as soon as it hung up, all day and all night, all month every month. What would that be, maybe 1400, 1000, 500 calls a day.
(I don't know if it stopped calling when it was filled up again, but eventually it ran down, and the supplier knew he had several days, a week or more, to get there before it was actually empty.)
So, you have to use your imagination, and maybe you can't solve the underlying problem. But you can keep the phone from waking you up.

Good grief...... So much for technology going amuck. You'd think the supplier would have called you and complained about all the incoming calls.... I'd cut the phone line to that coke machine forever.....
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 08:34:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I think maybe the calls were answered by another computer, that rejected duplicate calls.

Hey, we need coke. If it weren't for that, we'd need crack.

You should be able to find a ring control cord (that disables the ringer). Or, you may be able to make one. It's just a full-wave rectifier (you should be able to use 200V diodes) on the phoneline. The ringer won't work on DC, but everything else should.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

In the "old days" that was probably called bell tap. It can occur when the telephone line is opened for any reason. Because it is a very short line spike and because there is really no call, caller ID will show nothing. There are reasons why the line can get opened ..... line testing, meter reading, etc.. I'm sure the person that you talked to at BS had no clue, are probably working from a script .... a script where this topic is not even present. You probably need to escallate this to where someone might have some technical knowledge.
jerryl wrote:

It might be someone you know , caller Id might not read on 1 ring, have you tried the call back feature your company offers, or do a trace through the phone company, change and unlist your number, it will stop.

Had the calls traced. It was a call. No trace of anyone dialing our number.

hanging up on our number. He had the main office block our number from testing but that still didn't work. I called him back today and he's taking the investigation further. I just prefer not to change our number.

Continue to be a pain in the ass. Somebody knows how to track down the problem.

number and told me to keep him apprised of the condition. I think he's more determined to find the cause of the problem as I am to getting rid of it.

I wouldn't change my number for one ring every night. I would just consider it the phone company's way of saying they hadn't disconnected me.

I guess you don't have any children or grandchildren that drive and come home late and you don't have to worry about one of them getting into an accident?

I"m sorry. Didn't you read the post I went to the trouble to write for you where I suggested using a phone machine, which would ignore one ring and answer if there were more?
Like I said, I wouldn't change my number for one ring each night.

A deceased telemarketer is calling you via ghostly electron pulses :)
Seriously, you might just have a screwy phone that is sensitive to line noise. Try a different phone. You said "phoneS", so I assume there is more than one. Unplug all of them, then just use one NEW phone. (It dont need to be new off the shelf, just a different phone that has not been connected in your house). In the old days, the phone companies ran a voltage surge thru the phone lines once or more per day. I was told it cleans the wires. It is supposed to burn off faulty connections In all honesty, i never really understood that, except I can take a wild guess, which I assume would mean something like moisture on bare wires. I dont know if they still do that, but if they do, you might be getting those pulses.
You definately have a weird problem....
Mark

still had the ring. Then swapped out that phone and the same thing happened.

OK, then I guess you've done what you can. I dont kno wwhat else to tell you, except to shut off the ringer when you sleep, but have an answering machine turned on in case something important happens.
Now if you could get your hands on a recording voltmeter you might find something out....
One other thing. Is the ground connected properly to the phone, where the line enters the house? Dont know if that would matter, but check it out. One other thing. Do your neighbors have the same problem? Ask them. If they do, then your phone company needs to hear from all of them and be forced to do something.
Lastly, outside your house, or in the basement, there is the phone box that has a standard phone plug, which disconnects the whole house. Unplug the whole house, and hook just one phone to that jack. Use a phone extension cord if you must and run it from the basement or in a window. At least that way you can eliminate all the wiring in the house.
Have you researched the history of your house/land? The phenomena of phantom phone ringing has been associated with demonic possession as well as poltergeist/spirit activity. If a tragedy occurred in your house or its built on tainted ground you may have a supernatural problem. I would contact the local paranormal research group and ask them out for an evaluation. Most groups have associations with psychics who can get a quick idea od whether or not there is supernatural activity in your home. If the psychic picks up on something the group can investigate with cameras etc. An easier route may be to ask your clergyman to bless your house in the Lord's name. Or if your faith is strong you can try yoursrelf. The book "Beware the night" by ralph Sarcie(sp) gives sample blessings. This may handle minor earthly spirits but you will need help if your problem is demonic in nature
jerryl wrote:

read the book that you recommended but I did read the book "Why I love my dog better than some humans".