Telephone reception question

At the ammusement park, they make kids go through twists and turns on the roller coaster. The kids come out of the ride wobbly, can't talk, and sometimes barf on the sidwalk.

I think the last phone guy might have used twisted pair wire, for my phone. The electrons come out wobbly, and I can't tell what people are saying. Maybe I should call em back and ask for straight wire, so the electrons don't sound so funny at the receivers?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:qIU6o.39435$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.iad:

I think it's most likely the other way around. The use of twisted pair reduces the interference of changing magnetic fields on the voltages/currents in the wires. That would give better reception. Take a look ...

Reply to
Han

I think I just found another Czar candidate for the Obama cabinet. You seem to meet most of the requirements, but are you black????

Reply to
Ken

I remember one time long ago my Mom was on the phone and she was complaining about the static. It was before the days of cordless phones. I was over by the counter and I picked up the cord and started twisting it and going through all kinds of gyrations and ask my Mom if she thought what I was doing had anything to do with her problem. She screamed at me to put that wire down so she could hear. She really thought I was choking off the words running through the lines.

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster

I'm actually a persecuted minority. North European. My ancestors were German and English. Everyone discriminates against my type (fat, balding white guys). Since I actually have held a productive job, I'm not qualified to be in the O'Bonzo administration.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now, that is funny. Thanks for sharing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Perhaps you could be their token.

Reply to
keith

The Lighting Czar. You know you want it.

Reply to
Thomas

Make that flashlight czar, and offer me about 100 grand a year, plus expenses. We'll start negotiations from that point, and work up.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I remember the days when everyone had an indoor phone. Now a lot of people have to go outside to make a phone call.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Your phone is meant to be used while seated in a swivel chair, which became popular in the fifties. As you converse, it is natural for a person to rotate themselves in the chair, offering themselves a different view.

This is why twisted pair was developed.

If you notice the downlead wire from the pole to your network interface box (on your house), it is standard "side-by-side" two conductor wire, because it would be silly to expect one's house to spin around.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

This is the second time I've noticed you make a nasty crack like this. For a member of the LDS, that claims to be Christian but instead of love has a history of persecution of Blacks, of keeping Blacks at the back of the bus and out of the Mormon priesthood, which every other Mormon male over the age of 12 joins, you have a lot of nerve complaining about YOUR self-imagined persecution.

There may be other racists here but they don't brag about belonging to a racist church. Oh, yeah, your church claims it's changed, but apparently not before they taught you (and how many others) their hateful lesson. If they changed, how did you turn out the way you did? How do they treat you at church when you make your racist wisecracks? They laugh, don't they, and congratulate you, or you wouldn't tell them here too. Did you raise your children to be pigs?

Why learn more? If you're His ambassador, who's going to want to learn more about Him. You're an embarrassment to Christianity and a disgrace to Mormonism. Or it's likely you're an advertisement for what Mormons are really like.

Reply to
Bubba

It took me a while to get that, but it's pretty funny. Right after the huge tree in my front yard was taken down, I began to notice young neighbors appearing right in the area where the tree had been. At first I couldn't figure out what was going on. Druids? Treehuggers in mourning? "Why are all these different kids come out to stand one by one in front of my house, pacing around with the hands on their heads?"

Then I saw the cellphones and realized that they had walked around until they could find a strong signal on their phones. Apparently I own a "sweet spot" now that the big tree is gone.

Phone call "quality of service" is but one of many ways we've given up something to accept new technology. None of the phone conversations I have with people on various devices are of the consistent quality they when the world was only analog landlines. I hear echoes, time delays, other conversations, doppler shifting Star Trek sounds and the cackling of the Devil himself on the lines. I wonder if this is the new status quo and it will never get better?

In the same vein, I used to be able to watch at least three major TV stations in my basement on a portable analog TV with a little snow - now all I get is buzz and "failure to receive" on every digital channel.

You know that times are changing when a company advertises a cell phone you can watch Avatar on. *Why* would you *want* to watch Avatar on your cellphone?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Or they're still programmed to talk by that tree. The difference being that you can see them now. ;-)

I doubt it. It's "good enough". Any new bandwidth will always be put to other uses.

Other uses. ;-)

LOL! I can't imagine spending tens of hours on the phone per month. I don't "get" text messaging, either. Email, fine. SMS?

SWMBO uses an hour or two (kid is out of state) on her cell phone. I think I use *maybe* ten minutes a month on mine (when she calls). BTW, we have no land line.

Reply to
krw

I've seen people standing outside talking on a cell phone.

Not me. I still have a real telephone in the house. I do carry a cell phone when I'm out, but I don't use it routinely.

Exactly right. Also, with real telephones you can talk and listen at the same time.

Reply to
Jan Philips