Telephone problem

We're picking up a radio station on our wired telephone in the main bedroom. I assumed the phone was bad, so it was replaced with a new one, different brand. I also added a RS ground jack by the phone, but that didn't help either. The other 3 phones in the house don't have this problem. Any ideas? Cheers!
trm54321 wrote:

call the phone company and complain. they have some stuff they can put on the line to alleviate this problem.

Yes, and the device is free, but Verizon charges for a service call to put one on. 75 dollars or so for the first half hour. Plus you have to be home when he comes. The verizon guy told me to buy a DSL filter, I think it was, at radio shack. But I changed phones and it went away. The "new" phone is 15 years old.
It's possible tht your new phone is actually the same maker as your old phone, or the same weakness. Or maybe a DSL filter will solve your problem. 15 dollars iirc.

Best not do that until you've determined if the problem exists in their lines. Try connecting a phone directly to the point where the line enters your house.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Before we switched our phones to run off our Comcast cable we had a huge amount of "common mode" 60 Hz voltage (on both sides of the incoming phone line) which got really bad when it rained and the overhead lines and power insulators got wet.
It didn't bother the couple of ancient "simple" phones in the house, but the more modern ones which ran off wall warts had very annoying 60 HZ hums. The olde phone company said they couldn't do anything about it because they weren't going to put any more money into their copper network since fiber optic lines were going to get installed in the next couple of years.
So, we jumped ship to Comcast, leaving the hum behind.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Wed, 30 May 2007 12:36:58 -0400, trm54321 wrote:

What's the problem? Now you have music on hold for free :)
trm54321 wrote:

Sound like you've got RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) getting into that phone and being demodulatyed by non-linear components in the phone, so you then hear the radio station.
I'm not sure what you meant by a "RS ground jack".
I'm guessing it's something you bought at Radio Shack.
But if it's not an "RFI filter" or "EMI filter" then it may probably isn't what you need to kill that radio station pickup.
This sort of filter will usually do the job:
http://www.k-comfilters.com/p_rf1s.asp
Or, for less money you can buy their Hard-Wired filter and install it inside the telephone jack box.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Move the phones around. Does the problem move around or stay with the JACK?