telephone handset cable

anyone know where I can get a 4" - 6" 4P4C telephone handset cable. Its to extend a bit my amplifier box from the telephone handset.

I'm having a bit of trouble googling for it. they do have a 4p4c 7 feet cable, but that's more than what I need.

4p4c plug/jack has no official RJ designation as it is not involved in direct connection to the service line which is I think a load of bull (stupid rules). Some go buy various unofficial names like RJ10, RJ22 etc.

btw, I did find a source for the 4p4c inline coupler.

prior to this query, I got some of that stuff at radio shack and best buy, but I discovered that the RJ11/RJ14 inline coupler (best buy) and short cable (radio shack) are 6p4c) and they're too big for the handset jack that I have (they do fit, but its a poor fit).

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

It sounds more to me like you need to find a source of the plastic IDC 4p4c cable plugs so that you can make your own cable...

I know of no use that would cause some a supplier to carry/stock

4" to 6" jumpers for handset cords...

This means it is a "make your own" sort of venture... Look for an electronics supply house in your local area that will have all this sort of stuff in store for you to look over before buying...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

well, I'm trying to avoid this route. I have the crimping tool which I used to repair 2 of the plugs that broke on the lan lines that I have.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

This approach won't work - you'll need a different crimping die.

Contrary to what Wikipedia tells us, most phone techs know this connector as RJ14 and so do most if not all supply houses. I can guarantee you, if you search the Net and buy an "RJ14 coiled cord", you'll get exactly what you need - a cable with 7.5mm-wide modular 4P4C connectors with opposite pinouts on both ends. Then, of course, I think searching for and buying simply a "coiled phone cord" will most likely still yield exact same thing.

If your extender needs a straight-through RJ14-RJ14 (Pin 1 to Pin 1) instead of the crossover pinouts (Pin 1 to Pin 4) like in the regular handset, you may look for cables used in headsets. I believe the one that connects the headset amp to the phone is a straight-through, although that would need additional verification because different manufacturers may use different cables.

Then, again, you can always buy that RJ14 die for your crimping tool and make whichever pinout you need yourself.

Cheers!

------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

I took a look at the crimping tool I had, you're right, it only takes 8p & 6P plugs.

I have found lots of the coiled kind, not what I need. just a short straight piece. From what I can tell, its a straight thru.

guess wiki is not accurate on some info. I entered rj14 without the coiled cord. I have some leads.

I see some of the 6inchers is being sold on ebay.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

Well, to be fair to Wikipedia, they are correct in that it technically can't be called an "RJ"-anything because it does not connect to the phone network and therefore cannot be a "Registered Jack". But naming conventions often have a life of their own - once enough people called it an "RJ14", it IS an "RJ14" for all intents and purposes. Best example is RJ45 - probably THE most often used "RJ" denomination which also does not exist (at least not in the form we think of when we say "RJ45").

Cheers!

------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

$7 shipped:

G. Morgan

If you have a Graybar Electric Supply Co in your area, the company sells a lot of telephone equipment, wiring, jacks and modular plugs like the RJ-xx series. I buy a lot of stuff from our local Graybar for computer network and telecom system installation and repair.

Jacks/Plugs, Modular

Modular Plug, 4 Position, Category 3

Modular Plug, Rj11, 4 Pin

Modular Plug, Type Plug, 4 Position, 4 Contact

Modular Plug, 4 Position, 4 Contact

Plug, 4 Position, 4 Contact, Gray, Snap

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

[snip]

I've seen "RJ14" used for 6p6c.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

ok thanx. looks like I will be crimping some wires. I did find an used

6p4c telephone line, so, I guess I will cut & crimp this line to 4p4c.

looks like a visit to radio shack or home depot is in order.

I was at Harbor Freight and Home Depot and I forgot that I was supposed to look for a crimper & plug, instead I went looking for a right hand drill set. I didn't find what I was looking for tho.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

HF has crimpers, but I have never seen the plugs there. MPJA.com is a good cheap place to look.

Reply to
aemeijers

are you sure?

this is what I bought at home depot.

found this by accident - damn this chinese made crimper is cheap as compared to the above link.

dilbert firestorm