Telephone -- dial to get your own number

In western NY, it used to be you could pick up the phone and dial 511. The computer would tell you your phone number.

Some other parts of the state, it was 993, or 998.

Now, 511 isn't working. What else to try?

The work - around is to carry a cell phone with Call ID, and call the cell phone. See what number shows on the screen. But what other number might be the "get your number" number?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

=============================================================== Try 990---That's what it is down here in Westchester & Putnam County, NY. ======================================================== Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Reply to
Ron in NY

On Long Island, it was either 9588 or 9855, IIRC.

MB

On 09/15/04 05:57 pm Stormin Mormon put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Thanks. Didn't work, here.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks. I'd heard 958 or maybe *#958 works in the Buffalo NY area. Don't either of those work around here.

But, well, someone oughta know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

0 will work.
Reply to
default

It's handy when you are out some where, and you pick up the phone. Don't know the number, but want someone to call you back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not sure if this is an urban legend or not, but I heard it from a police officer at our local community meeting: Burglar enters and steals valuables including victim's checkbook. While in victim's house, burglar telephones the phone company and orders call-forwarding to accomplice's telephone number. Burglar writes check for almost the entire balance and presents it to bank. Bank telephones victim's number to verify the check, and accomplice obliges.

Proposed solution: make sure your telephone company attaches a password to your phone line so that evil doers cannot do evil.

Paul in San Francisco

Reply to
Paul M
1) That would tell the police who the burglar was. 2) The victim would notice they have gotten any calls recently, or someone would let them know about the forwarding.

Sounds like a pretty bad idea.

Reply to
toller

Not everywhere. Once I was a guest at a friend's cottage and had not been told the phone number, but I wanted to let my office know where to reach me. The operator (Bell Canada, in Ontario) was prohibited by policy from telling me the number from which I was calling. I'm sure a lot of people want their number private, even from houseguests, workers, etc.

I don't know if the number was unlisted. That may have made a difference.

At the time nobody I knew (including the office) had caller-id.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

Probably not impossible, but some details seem problematic:

- Whenever I've dealt with the phone company to change services, they ask for info to identify myself. Granted, a burgler with full access to my paperwork might have sufficient info.

- Ditto the bank.

- Have you ever had the bank phone you to verify a check? I never have. Perhaps some do. (This means that the whole phone forwarding scheme is quite needless; just stealing a checkbook and practicing the victim's signature is quite enough. In fact, in many cases, the sig doesn't even have to be a good likeness). I presume the check is made out to cash, or to an alias for which the bad guy has ID.

- The scheme puts the accomplice's phone number in the phone company's records. Not smart.

However, I have heard that very similar schemes are known to exist, in which bad guys find a little-used voice mailbox at some company, and record the greeting to say "YES ... YES ... YES". They then place third-party-billed calls to far-away places (there is a large black market for this kind of thing, not least in the drug trade). Many phone companies today use computerized voice recognition when they dial the third party for validation.

So regardless of the possible holes in the exact scenario, the take-home message to protect your phone and voicemail services is well taken.

Chip C

Reply to
Chip C

This function is called "ani".......

1-800-444-4444

1-800-532-7486

1-800-314-4258
Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Thanks! 1-800-444-4444 works for me.

Reply to
Wayne
1-800-444-4444 works for me, but would it work if outgoing Caller ID were turned off? I don't recall the key sequence, but I am sure that there is a way of calling "anonymously" -- either always or for a particular call.

MB

On 09/16/04 01:44 pm PrecisionMachinisT put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

| > 1-800-444-4444 | >

| > 1-800-532-7486 | >

| > 1-800-314-4258

*67 is the key sequence used to block caller ID in our area. Even when calling *67-1-800-444-4444 I am able to retrieve my phone # via a computer response.
Reply to
Harry G.

You *can't* turn off caller id for an 800 number (including, of course,

888, 877, and 866), 900 numbers, or 911 emergency calls.
Reply to
Seth Goodman

Im curious if it works with the different cell phone providers--thinking it might only resolve as far as the provider's CO number in some instances, and so would like to hear from anyone has tried this with cell service.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

ANI works everywhere, because it's billing information. Caller ID is suppressable. If it's really ANI, it should work pretty much everywhere.

Reply to
default