teledyne laars series one pool heater

I have a teledyne laars series one pool heater - installed 1989. It has a spark ignition driven by a Honeywell Ignition Controller. Did not light - replaced the Ignition Controller - now it lights but it stays on for a few seconds and then stops. Waits a while - then lights and a few seconds later stops. etc
Can someone suggest a likely cause?
Dick
snipped-for-privacy@knox-data.com wrote:

There's a pressure sensor which is used to indicate sufficient water flow. It can fail, in which case the heater shuts down. If the water flow stops, even VERY briefly you will melt down the heat exchanger very rapidly...trust me. Then the most cost effective solution is a new heater.
Boden

I've checked the pressure sensor - it closes when the pump starts - I hear it click and I do a continuity check and it is closed
On Nov 14, 3:02 pm, snipped-for-privacy@knox-data.com wrote:

Clogged orifice. -----
- gpsman
napes had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/teledyne-laars-series-one-pool-heater-342140-.htm :
------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@knox-data.com wrote:

The new controller most likely was digital and replaced an old analog one. The instructions that came along with it may seem clear but I found after having the same problem that the old schematic should be used and not the new one. There is a connection made in the new instructions that has to be undone and put back to original. I'm sorry though, I can't remember which one.
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 328276 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##