Teflon tape on gas pipe??

I was told this about not using teflon tape back in the late 70's or early 80's. What I heard was pretty vague, and I dont recall who said it anymore. Anyhow, these days we have better access to information. Either way, I guess I was told correctly to NOT use it, but for the wrong reason. What you said makes a lot of sense. I am fully aware of using teflon tape on plumbing, and when I'd first turn on the water, the faucet strainers would clog. I'd remove them, and find rust particles (if ther was OLD steel pipe involved), -AND- pieces of teflon tape, along with little bits of solder (on copper pipe). On plbg its easy to remove, but I could see orfices and stuff getting quickly clogged on gas pipes.

I'll just stick with using pipe dope on all gas pipes!

Reply to
Paintedcow

Most definitely the safest - just make sure the dope you are using is approved for gas!!!

Reply to
clare

Some of the problems are caused by people putting it on backwards.

Reply to
rbowman

Yep, I learned long ago it has to be put on so it dont unwrap when the pipe is scrrewed into the fitting.

Reply to
Paintedcow

True - but even "properly" installed it can scred - particularly on crappy chinese black pipe with "ripped" threads.

Reply to
clare

replying to Steven L Umbach, Joe D. wrote: the yellow Teflon tape has more parts of Teflon per cm than the white tape. You should use yellow for gas and not the white.

Reply to
Joe D.

replying to Crazytekkie, just an old fart wrote: your right, use blue tape it covers all

Reply to
just an old fart