Teflon tape on gas pipe??

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 16 May 2016 15:09:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I was told this about not using teflon tape back in the late 70's or early 80's. What I heard was pretty vague, and I dont recall who said it anymore. Anyhow, these days we have better access to information. Either way, I guess I was told correctly to NOT use it, but for the wrong reason. What you said makes a lot of sense. I am fully aware of using teflon tape on plumbing, and when I'd first turn on the water, the faucet strainers would clog. I'd remove them, and find rust particles (if ther was OLD steel pipe involved), -AND- pieces of teflon tape, along with little bits of solder (on copper pipe). On plbg its easy to remove, but I could see orfices and stuff getting quickly clogged on gas pipes.
I'll just stick with using pipe dope on all gas pipes!
On Mon, 16 May 2016 16:06:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Most definitely the safest - just make sure the dope you are using is approved for gas!!!
On 05/16/2016 02:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Some of the problems are caused by people putting it on backwards.

Yep, I learned long ago it has to be put on so it dont unwrap when the pipe is scrrewed into the fitting.

True - but even "properly" installed it can scred - particularly on crappy chinese black pipe with "ripped" threads.
On 05/15/2016 10:44 AM, Virgil wrote:

Thickness yes, not any different otherwise (barring the color, of course). White PTFE is single thickness, yellow is double and pink is triple.
I know of nowhere it is in any Code requirement and unless it's been changed which I think it hasn't, the National Fuel Gas Code handbook 2.6.7(d) refers to using pipe dope suitable for use with gas and says: "This requirements does not prohibit the use of teflon tape as a pipe dope. [Further comments regarding workmanship elided for brevity]"
The requirement for the thicker tape (hence yellow as common identifier) is the only one I'm aware of.