Teflon tape on gas pipe??

Good point. There have been any number of times I've had to removed a taped joint. I bought a PTZ dome camera from China and they sent along the biggest roll of teflon tape I've ever seen. When I ordered a second one, it came with an O ring to provide the same waterproofing. I spent quite some time (as Tony warned I might) trying to find out more from the Chinese vendors to no avail. Oh well, the camera was 1/4 what US vendors wanted for the same thing that probably came with the same obtuse directions.
Going to deploy one this weekend - not sure I should water test it with the garden hose before bothering to climb the ladder. Apparently water can get in through the wire entrance to the threaded dome cap. But I'd rather do it with tape because it might have to be taken down to dry out if the tape/gasketing doesn't work.
I bought some (wildly overpriced) stuff called Sugru that is a hardening putty that I might use to seal the wire entry because it's fairly easy to remove.
https://sugru.com/
(No affiliation and we'll find out tomorrow if it does what it says.)
--
Bobby G.

On Friday, July 24, 2015 at 9:42:33 PM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:

Removing a taped joint is the same as removing a dope joint, you just unscrew it. It doesn't require removing pipe dope. And if you're putting it back together and want to clean it up, either a rag or a wire brush works for me. Funny, if pipe dope is so hard to use, why do so many pros still use it?

Perhaps they know they will never have to remove it. ;)
nb

How many pros still use it or is it just a WAG on your part? I couldn't find any estimates of usage but a lot of disagreement over which one's better, just like we have here.
--
Bobby G.

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 12:54:10 -0400, "Robert Green"

Who said pipe dope was "hard to use?" Must have missed that.
<stuff snipped>

+1
--
Bobby G.

Interesting enough today the wife and I went shopping the local home improvement chain stores [northwest Chicago] for light fixtures and I took a look at their flexible gas connection kits out of curiosity. Both chain stores included skinny WHITE Teflon tape spool with their kits for use with the gas connections. Apparently a LOT of water heaters are being installed with the white Teflon tape. --- Steve

Trouble is, the people who are coming in there aren't any smarter than the people who work there. There is a gas tape. Anyone who doesn't know the difference shouldn't be working on gas lines.
Sheesh.
Steve

thickness, and color. Other than that, they are the same. The ONLY problem using Teflon tape for gas lines is the concern of getting tape fragments into gas valves and other controls. Anyone with a tiny bit of knowledge knows how to avoid that problem, using tape or not. Used properly white Teflon tape poses no problem. Greg
I am glad surgeons don't use the same logic. "The only problem with such a surgery is the risk of pulmonary thrombosis due to clots breaking loose, but any idiot ought know how to avoid that".
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

As someone else mentioned, you shouldn't be using any type of thread sealer on gas flex pipe. Those are flare connections and no gas should even be exposed to the threads. In fact, putting anything on the threads may make it harder to get the flare connection tight enough. You only seal rigid pipe-to-fitting connections.
replying to Steven L Umbach, Virgil wrote: I use white for water and Yellow for Gas in some places this is code you have to check your local Inspectors the yellow is thicker with a higher density working with Gas I just feel better leaving a job knowing I did all I could to prevent any leaks from popping up down the road
a plmber i know uses both, teflon tape and then pipe dope
he has been a plumber forever and said it guarantees no leaks
says...

It is just dumb to put both on a pipe. Use one or the other. I saw a Youtube of putting pipe dope on a flaired fitting threads. Another dumb move as there should be nothing to leak at the threaded part. If it does leak, something was not done correctly.
On 05/15/2016 09:55 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I'll confess to using teflon tape on the face of a POL fitting. sometimes you do what you gotta do to make the connection stop blowing bubbles.
On Sun, 15 May 2016 23:55:25 -0400, Ralph Mowery

Teflon tape is not supposed to be used on natural gas lines. Something about the gas dissolving the tape. It's ok on propane though. There is a special tape made for nat. gas, but I have never used it. so I dont know the name of it, or if it's readily available. Years ago, I did some work on nat. gas pipes, for my parents. I just used pipe dope. Where I live now, I only have propane, but I still use pipe dope. Normally people use copper tubing for propane, so no sealer is needed since the fittings are flared copper or compression rings. But my house had black iron pipe for the furnace. When I ran a line to the kitchen for a stove, I decided it was best to keep the same pipe to prevent dialectric corrosion, so I used black iron pipe with dope in the fittings.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo says...

It is still teflon tape that is used on the gas lines. It is most often yellow to signify that it is double density (thicker) than the white tape.
On Mon, 16 May 2016 00:48:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

the exact same effect on teflon tape - none at all.
However, pipe dope mis recommended over tape because the tape can cut and turn into "threads" of teflon and block orifices or stick in valves. There are 3 basic teflon tapes - white(single thickness) , yellow (double thickness) and pionk (triple thickness. White is forbidden in all gas connections. Some places allow yellow - some allow pink, and some do not allow tape at all.