Teflon Tape

Page 3 of 4

HeyBub wrote:

Nonsense.
It's both a sealant _AND_ serves as a lubricant.

Dang - reminds me of that comedy line, but I can't remember how it goes....
Something like "It's a breath mint and toilet cleaner!"
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 13:00:41 -0700, Robert Neville wrote:

BOY howdy! post it when you remember it. I want to read this.

I think it was a SNL sketch from the late 70s or early 80s - wish I could remember.

Dessert topping and floor wax...
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 17:30:23 -0500, Rick wrote:

Love it!

Yep, an SNL skit from that error. Good one. I think my all time favorite is the Bass-O-Matic though. Even better when wacked-out in the 70's...if ya know what I mean.
    http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/clips/bassomatic/229056 /

That's it!
Rick wrote:

That's it! Not sure where I got the shoe polish from. Was it in the same skit?
Robert Neville wrote:

It's a dessert topping and a shoe polish!
I'm thinking I heard it on "Dr. Demento" but it sounds like a SNL skit.

But, not a great sealant. Pipe dope and thread, yo.
--
EA

> --

Oh, they make all kinds of pipe dopes now, with teflon, which should never really dry out or crack, if that ever was a problem with old pipe dope and string. Teflon pipe dope is even messier than the original pipe dope!
Still, I use teflon tape, and prayer. But if I had a "serious" job, I'd proly go with teflon dope/string, esp. on anything 1" or over. This way, you also don't have to crank so goddamm hard.
I believe they also make different thicknesses in the teflon tape, fwiw.
--
EA

> --
> EA
Existential Angst wrote:

I've had bad luck with 1 1/2" - 2" PVC joints. Does the dope/string work well for those?

It should -- it's virtually foolproof, albeit a messy pita. Sewing thread works well, also, if the string is too thick/bulky. And there are all thicknesses of sewing thread, as well.
It seems that, from other posts in this thread, that the closest one gets to a seal between pipe and fitting, the better the joint. Which suggests as thin sewing thread + dope that will do the job..
One way to gauge this might be to screw a joint together with dope by itself, see the net "penetration", and then choose a thread weight that gives you 90-95% of this penetration. Thick string could cut this penetration in half, which means a lot of string is between the mating parts, which could, over time, dry out and poss. leak -- in theory.
Teflon dope is proly a good idea w/ string/thread.
--
EA

Oh yeah, with steel male and female PVC, thread/dope is proly pretty good stopgap, as a seal will occur before the PVC fitting distorts/cracks.
--
EA

> --
> EA
Existential Angst wrote:

This is definately worth trying. I assume I'd wrap thread up the PVC pipe threads, then smear dope over it to hold it in place for installation, cut off the inside end of the thread and screw the pipe together. Is that right?
wrote in message

Actually, it's easier to dope up the threads first, and wrap the thread into the dope -- holds the thread nice. Then, screw together, snap off/snip off any excess string. Much less juggling this way.
Heh, iffin yer feeling creative, you might could try a very lightweight fishing line.... the Q would be, is the nylon fishing line more compressible than the PVC material.... If this works, the fishing line would never dry out.... if that is even an issue with doped-up thread.
--
EA

Existential Angst wrote:

I would imagine the dope would get soaked into the thread and keep it from degrading. Hmmmm. I wonder how waxed dental floss would work?
wrote in message

Perfect!!! The cheap generic stuff is nice and thin, the brand stuff thicker. But you won't be snapping any of this stuff -- bring yer scissors!!
--
EA

Crest's Glide Floss Tape works great. It's wider and you don't need as many windings. It's also a helluva lot stronger than thread or regular floss, so it won't rip up on cut steel threads.