Teflon Tape

Page 1 of 4

Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this Teflon tape in the right direction?
http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/images/kitchenbath/CopperPipeTeflonTape.jpg
No.... as the thread tightens, the tape will tend to loosen. I always wrap with the threads, not against.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Looks kinda bass ackwards doesn't it?
Left hand shown? There is no watch (or finger ring) on the person's hand. Although wearing watches (rings) not as common nowadays and never recommended while working in construction work anyway!
While the presumably superposed printing is the 'right way round', I'll opt for suggesting, the picture got reversed!
And that's happened before; some 'layout director' in the arts department decides a picture 'looks better' or fits the page, the other way round and knowing nothing of the skill or technology involved gets the picture wrong way round.
As result something such as the the Eiffel Tower in relation to the Arc De Triomphe in Paris is shown wrong. Also seem to remember a pix. of a standard V8 motor that was clearly backwards!
terry wrote:

I tried to zoom in on the writing on the roll but it was too blurred.
TDD
mcp6453 wrote:

How the he## is he going to screw that pipe onto that fitting anyway?
Good one! I totally missed that. He shoulda thread it, and then sweat.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Bob F wrote:

The copper pipe is fastened to the wood, so either the joint gets a union fitting, or the chrome pipe is loose and able to turn and reach the copper, or some dumb ass is teaching what he doesn't know. But still the teflon is backwards or the pic is flip flopped.

Then that settles it. It's Bob Vila's hand.

HA! Did he flux the thread before taping it?
--
EA

I found the page that links to that pic. The part sticking out of the wall is the end of a sillcock that is not yet attached to anything.
Another photo of the connection from a different angle shows it running in the same direction, so the photo probably isn't backwards.
The roll of tape is also visible in the photo, but the resolution is too low to tell if the lettering is backwards. Maybe if someone has the same brand of tape they might be able to tell.
(Not that it's worth worrying about.)

He may be. My eyes aren't what they used to be but it looks like he is going clockwise from the small edge of tape sticking out.
mcp6453 wrote:

Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.
HeyBub wrote:

Are you saying that the teflon is just a lubricant? I don't think so.

HeyBub is right, Teflon tape is a lubricant. if you want sealing, use pipe dope like your plumber does.
Joe
Joe wrote:

Dang! Foiled again. I use both Teflon and pipe dope (not at the same time). I've had joints leak with Teflon so I changed to pipe dope, and I had pipe dope leak so I changed to Teflon. I think I'm just too scared to tighten some fittings as hard as they need. Same experience with compressed air hoses and stuff.
Next to the pressure tank I have a steel pipe going into a female pvc fitting, and after leaking twice, then breaking the pvc fitting while tightening it more, I put 2 hose clamps around a new female fitting and snugged them up tight before torquing he hell out of the fitting. Finally worked.
Tony wrote:

I don't think metal threads into PVC female is even allowed here.
Bob F wrote:

Really? I'd like to know for sure for in the future.
Tony wrote:

PVC is just not tough enough to resist the forces of screwing a metal male fitting into ta PVC female fitting. The female expands and breaks before a seal if formed in many cases. The hose clamp solution can increase the success rate. PVC rated pipe dope works better than teflon, in my experience.
Bob F wrote:

They make special fittings for this. Brass female on one end, PVC slip joint on the other.
Bob F wrote:

Thanks. Next time I will know better! I was actually redoing it the same way it was done the first time (because it had a slow leak) I guess I now know why it leaked the first time!