Teflon tape

Okay, so now that I've heard enough suggestions that pipe dope is the way to go, what good is teflon tape? Where it is used that pipe dope isn't?

It is for beginners. Like the propel fishing rod.
All bashing aside. It may serve some small purpose in thread lubrication. It might work in low pressure situations where both parts are new. I never use it.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

Is that just your prejudice, or can you cite a reference that backs it up (e.g. with results of carefully conducted tests)?

Teflon tape 4 to 6 wraps clockwise, then pipe dope over that. I've been on one job where they would not let use Teflon tape ( gas line for a school) that's the only time I've run into that. We always use Teflon tape it's pretty much the industry standard.

Teflon tape works ok too..just use 4-5 wraps.It is great on pipe 1 inch or smaller on larger pipes I put on dope,then wrap with Teflon.
Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Service Technicians local 72 card number 1465687

Plumbers & Pipefitters local 447 Sacramento.
Eigenvector wrote:

Hi, I use it on RV plumbing, sprinkler fittings, PEX fittings. I never lived in a house with galvanized water pipe. My houses had copper or PEX plumbing.

We use it where I work and it is on some 1 inch pipes on the 250 lb steam lines. If it holds for that , it should be good for most anything around the house.
I have found BAD teflon tape, some that just wouldnt seal/.
bought a new roll from another place that worked perfect.
i told a buddy who didnt believe it
gave him the bad tape and it didnt work for him either...
I like it for hose joint threaded connections.
Water rates here (PDX, OR) are outrageous and I try to avoid hose drips anywhere.
The teflon tape allows good connections and relatively easy unscrewing when needed, with replacement quick and not messy.
YMMV.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
Eigenvector wrote:

Works great for air fittings also.
On Sun, 28 May 2006 17:32:13 -0700, "Eigenvector"

You are a dope !!!!
Teflon tape is used for high pressure gas lines. my best friends vehicles run on natural gas.....
at 1500 pounds. he would go higher but he doesnt need the added capacity of say 3000 pounds, besides his electric cost skyrockets at higher pressures.
he has some other equiptement at 5000 pounds and teflon tape holds that.
as a expert master lifetime plumber tells me. you will get a occasional leak from either teflon tape or pipe dope.
USED IN COMBINATION THEY NEVER LEAK:)
" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote:

The instructions for my new plasma cutter warn against using Teflon tape citing the potential for small Teflon particles to break off and travel down the line clogging solenoid valves and regulators.
Pete C.

I've seen similar warning about dope.

Isn't there a different kind (or at least, color) tape that's used for gas fiitings?

Yes, the yellow stuff. It looks like its about 2-3 X as thick as the standard white stuff.

Maybe that's due to field experience with a lot of people not knowing which way to wrap it, how much to wrap it, and not to tear it off leaving a long scraggly end.
In my past days as a high-vacuum technician, I used it quite a lot for vacuum and compressed air lines as well as water cooling lines.
Banty

Banty wrote:

We used it on fittings for high pressure air lines (5000 psi) back in my scuba shop days. Worked fine... never had a problem with errant chunks ending up downwind from the fittings.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Man there are some true idiots with computers around.