Teflon frying pan

Page 2 of 2
I wonder at what temperature teflon becomes hazardous?
I make my living fixing laminators that use a teflon coated heat shoe, they run below 350 degrees most commonly under 300. if they are found to be dangerous its time for a new job.
I used to fix machines that used methyl alcohol, that job ended when the healt risks of methyl vapors was publicized. oddly enough its still used today in windshield washer fluid.
but those oither machines all went to the landfill........

It is in excess of 500 degrees. You can get some specifics on the Dupont web page about Teflon and birds. Normal cooking will not cause a problem, it is often a pan left unattended and over heated. Even normal pans can cause ill effects on birds as they have rather delicate respiratory systems.
http://www2.dupont.com/PFOA/en_US/product_safety/product_bird_safety.html Never preheat your cookware on high heat.
If accidentally overheated, non-stick cookware can emit fumes that may be harmful to birds, as can any type of cookware preheated with cooking oil, fats, margarine and butter. This is why you should always move your birds out of the kitchen before cooking
You may also want to check out http://www.teflon.com/NASApp/Teflon/TeflonPageServlet?GXHC_gx_session_id_=GXLiteSessionID-2890589694825990208&pageId=/consumer/na/eng/news/news_detail.safetyconcerns.html

I suspect overheating many types of PLASTIC will generate unhealthy fumes.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

True. Many can be eaten and would just pass through your body in that form, but when burned, can give severe side effects.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I can't verify this information, but here is a chart that describes what happens to Teflon at various temperatures, FWIW:
http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon/tempgraphic.php
Keep in mind that when cooking, the "average temperature" of the pan is not the highest temperature that is found at places in the pan where food is absent.

Teflon has nothing on a well seasoned cast iron skillet.
Ranieri wrote:

Well said! Good quality cast iron ware can not be beat for cooking. It has qualities in cooking that no other type of kitchen ware can come close to. It can also last for generations. Jack
what would you recommend for a smooth-top range? wouldn't cast iron scratch it?? "Ranieri" <nah> wrote in message

Teflon has nothing on a well seasoned cast iron skillet.
"> Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the non-stick property of the

From what I have been seeing and reading about Teflon, I'd suggest you consider not using them, especially if the coating is damaged, at least until more is known about the potential danger from Teflon coating.
Walt Conner
hard anodized pans

Don Lee wrote:

On the morning news this AM the US government is recommending avoiding Teflon pans as well as other exposure sources of the materials. They are not saying there is a direct threat, but they are asking for a serious decrease in the use of the material from which Teflon is made by the manufacturers.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Don Lee wrote:

My position is this. Fuck teflon. I don't need it one way or another. Give me something without any fancy chemicals no matter how many scientists say its ok. Who can you trust really?
Ill take cast iron. It can add trace amounts of iron to your food, but thats actually a good thing. Also it can stop a bullet and if required, take an intruder out in one swing. Try that with Teflon!
Teflon is nice on funky surfaces like grills and waffle irons. But its just not needed.
--
Thank you,

Cast iron may not be as healthy as other people think either. The reason for not sticking with cast iron is the carbon build-up (beside the addition of oil). One would assume it is healthy, but if one is concerned with safety in using Teflon, black carbon build-up in cast iron is probably more a concern. No data on both.
--
Later \'gator

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

I don't think it is carbon buildup but rather the oils being polymerized. People have been using it for over a hundred years with no know problme aside from an injured toe if you drop it on your foot.