Teenagers pulling pranks

Page 3 of 5

Do you?
"unlawful: not lawful; in violation of law; illegal." [American Heritage Dictionary]
--
Regards,
On Oct 25, 4:43 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

-- Who knows the difference between 'unlawful' and 'illegal'?
-- Do you?
Yep!
unlawful: not lawful
illegal: a sick bird
[snip]

That's as useful as saying a "snaxgluff" is the same thing as an "emwoozle". This could be 100% true, but is still meaningless Defining an undefined word by reference to another undefined word doesn't define anything.

It's amazing that some people spend so much time on artificial constructs such as "unlawful" and "illegal", yet appear to have no concept of the world they inhabit where things can be "wrong" or "harmful" (something which is entirely independent of laws).
If I hit you on the head with a brick, it'd hurt. This has nothing to do with any laws. I won't hit you on the head with a brick because it does harm. This has nothing to do with any laws.

Mark Lloyd

Actually, most adults are capable of understanding the difference between real words and made-up nonsense, and that the former have real meaning while the latter do not.

"Artificial constructs" or not, those words do have meaning. And that is not altered by your perceptions of whether they correspond to your perceptions of right and wrong.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:42:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

And you appear to have missed the point of that, which you saw and snipped.

Very little actual meaning. Essentially, they're descriptions of things going on in certain people's minds. There's nothing there to keep those people from being mentally disturbed and having thoughts with no correspondence to reality.
At one time whisky was illegal. Did that make whisky any different? If there's something wrought about whisky, it's wrong regardless of what the law says. Notice how whisky was not changed, just the law.
(considering something else that got snipped), if you had to be hit on the head with something, would you prefer it to be a brick or a law?
What if they passed a law saying that bricks can't hurt when thrown? Does the law actually change the brick?

"My perceptions" have nothing to do with it.

Mark Lloyd

How can you say that? According to you, the term "illegal" has no meaning. It's just an "artificial construct."

Nobody ever contended that it did.

And your point is -- ?
The law changed. So what? Get over it. Laws change. That does *not* alter the fact that they exist, or that certain behaviors comply with them and other behaviors don't.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 19:16:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Apparently something too simple for you. The law changed but the reality behind it (the actual harm of whisky) DID NOT.

Good job of evading what you're supposed to be replying to.

Mark Lloyd

That of course is completely irrelevant to any question regarding the legality, or illegality, of any particular behavior -- or whether the words "legal" and "illegal" have meaning.
--
Regards,

People who think like this "Mark Lloyd" are what's wrong with the world.
IMO,you're arguing with a void.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Of course it's "right" to ignore reality :-)

Mark Lloyd

-- Who knows the difference between 'unlawful' and 'illegal'?
- It's amazing that some people spend so much time on artificial constructs such as "unlawful" and "illegal"...
Did you see my answer to my own question?
unlawful: not lawful illegal: a sick bird
Please check all groans at the door.

OK, and I have a few more (unrelated to the above) definitions like that here:
asset - a small donkey ascot - a small donkey's bed catalog - list of everything you've done with cats caution - avoid crows cloe - singular of "clothes" cold - past tense of "coal" debut - remove the rear end delighted - in the dark detailed - an unnaturally tailless cat deviled - has had the vile removed dilate - live a long time economics - the verbal study of mice exit - what a hen does after laying fibula - a small lie fulfilled - twice as much as halfilled impeccable - birdproof layer - hen newbie - what you get when a bee's egg hatches number - local anesthetic politics - a large number of small parasitic animals retail - help a "detailed" cat

Mark Lloyd
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:00:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Common usage. Not the actual meaning of the word.

A very SPECIFIC definition.

By executing (carrying out) the death sentence.

Realize that dictionaries follow common use, not necessarily correct use. "execute" means "do".

THAT is nonsense. You've just defined one thing 'lawful" in terms of an equally vague and inconsistently defined thing.

If IS relevant to something having an actual meaning or not.

Mark Lloyd

LOL -- what do you mean, "not the actual meaning of the word"?? That's straight out of a dictionary.
But I guess you know more about the "actual meaning" than the people that put the dictionary together. Riiiiiiiiight.

By executing the prisoner.

It *also* means "to subject to capital punishment" (cited above).

More nonsense. Law may be many things, but "vague" and "inconsistently defined" are not among them.

Like that sentence? ROTFLMAO!
--
Regards,
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:08:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

And that's where you got YOUR usage? Some people have what it takes to be able to live with circular reasoning.

It's a distortion of the word.

Never heard of laws changing?

Eventually, trying to convince [deleted] of simple and obvious things ceases to be fun.

I wouldn't use that if it wasn't true. I do use LOL sometimes (when it's really happening). Actually, meaning is damaged when these things are said too much.
Where's all those loose asses? :-)

Mark Lloyd

Most people believe that words have meaning. You're apparently not one of them.

In your opinion. The makers of the dictionary disagree.

That laws change from time to time does not make them "vague" or "inconsistently defined."
--
Regards,
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 19:19:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

For a little while this was more fun than trying to explain ANYTHING to a rock.

Mark Lloyd

I'm sorry these concepts are too difficult for you to grasp, Mark.
--
Regards,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

"Lawful" has a specific meaning: "Specifically required or permitted by law." "Unlawful" implies the law is silent on the subject.
Something can be "unlawful" but not "illegal."

I find it useful to distinguish between 3 cases:
1. required by law 2. "the law is silent on this" 3. prohibited by law
What you said above seems to be using "unlawful" for case 2, while I often hear it used for case 3, as in someone being arrested for "unlawful use of a shotgun" (the law specifically prohibited that particular use).

I guess "illegal" is how you're distinguishing case 3 from case 2 (above). I wish language was more clear and consistent on that matter.
An additional definition of "legal" is "involving lawyers". That applies to things like "legal pads" or "legal briefs" (no underwear jokes please).

Mark Lloyd