Tecumseh Snow King

Model HMSK80 / 90 / 100 / 120

During the recent cold snap here in the northeast U.S.A. we managed to get a 7" snowfall as well. Previously I always started this engine for my snow thrower using the recoil starter. Was curious how well it would start with temperatures under 5f.

First pull was snug but pulled though ok. Second try the cord separated. Was very pleased to have the electric start option. That said I'd still like to repair the recoil mechanism. Any surprises here or is it a rather straightforward remove, rewind, and replace procedure?

Reply to
Jim Strand

Nothing rocket science about it. Depending on the age of the Tecumseh, the starter may just be held on with four bolts and pull right off the end of the engine.

Other models have the starter housing joined to the engine shroud, so it may take a bit more effort to find and remove all the bolts holding that part onto the engine block.

Either way, you should be able to figure out how to "wind up" the retraction spring and install the cord so that there's enough winds on the spring to pull the full spool full of cord back.

Good luck,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia