tecumseh lawnmower starting problem..

Ok have a 15 year old 4hp Techumseh motor with float carb on it to work on... Apparently been hard to start taking about 20 pushes of the primer bulb to make it start when cold, warm starts are just fine. I have taken the carb off cleaned all passages I could get to with carb cleaner and air compressor, cleaned the fuel tank and fuel line, replaced the plug, new oil, new air filter. I did clean out the small holes in there on the thing that the float goes around and the bolt that goes into it...Float had some fuel in it so I got a new one. Put it all together and still takes 20 pushes to get enough fuel to start. Last effort will be the primer bulb itself in case it has a leak..it never gets hard when priming it. Thanks for any help. Rob

Reply to
ROBMURR

Um....I would have made sure the primer bulb was working first. You can usually hear the gas squirt if it is working properly. They can easily get a hole and leak air and then nothing happens. The engines I have used that have a primer bulb NEED that primer bulb.

Reply to
donald girod

Well it needed all the rest done to it anyway did not want to do a halfway job on it... I will get a new primer bulb and see what happens. I can hear a bit of gas but more air when pushing the primer bulb.. If I pull this out with gas in the tank will it come shooting out the primer bulb hole or should I drain the gas tank first? Rob

Reply to
ROBMURR

I don't think you will lose a lot of gas, but it would make sense to drain the tank. The bulb is probably connected to the tank and to the carburetor throat with tubing.

You may have some trouble removing the bulb--my Briggs engine required a special tool, sort of a spanner, to remove the bulb, and I ended up having a guy do it.

Reply to
donald girod

Ok got it fixed, it was the primer bulb. New one cost $3, ripped the old out cleaned the sealing area and put the new one back in 3 presses and 2 pulls and we have ignition...BTW I did it with out draining the gas, none leaked out. I did squirt some cleaner down the hole behind the primer. Took airfilter off to see if it was pumping gas when pushed. Thanks everyone Rob

Reply to
ROBMURR