Tecumseh Brake switch mystery

I am rebuilding a 4.5 hp tecumseh tvs115. I have nearly completed the project, but ran into a strange problem. There is no spark going to the plug. I removed the brake mechanism, and tried it again with the ground wire connected to the magneto. I got a spark. Thinking the problem was fixed, I replaced the brake and tried again. No Spark. I seem to only get a spark when the brake mechanism is outside of the engine. There is a small amount of copper showing by the connection to the brake, but I even tried to cover the exposure with electrical tape. Any Thoughts?

Reply to
jvigliotti