Tear off cedar siding before putting on vinyl?

I have a 63 year-old extended cape on which I'd like to put vinyl siding. Two contractors never mentioned tearing off the existing cedar, but a third strongly suggested removing it. Is it generally worth it to remove the wood siding?

Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Pete

Depending on the framing style a house that age usually relies on the siding as part of the structure. Not knowing how your house is frame or if, in fact, the siding is structural, I'd vote against removal on the grounds it's just one more expense.

Best,

Marc

Reply to
MrAoD

The reason they want to remove the wood siding is that it makes the vinyl look better. The old siding may be cupping or curling and that would show on the new vinyl. Without seeing any pics that would be my thoughts.

Reply to
Randd01

Many people would move heavan and earth to repair real cedar siding and refinish it well. Extreme weather damage is the only reason not to do so. Don't make a decision you will regret.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

We have a 1927 which has vinyl over the old cedar shingles. We have had a number of problems with the vinyl buckling and generally not looking very "finished." As well, the fact that the siding (while likely not installed properly) has caused some water damage as the vinyl is now so far out from the original wall that water leaks in behind the siding at the window sills. I would first recommend keeping the cedar, or replacing, second, buying hardy plank or an alternative, or if you are dead set on vinyl, pay the extra $ and have the cedar shingles removed. Good luck.

-David

Reply to
David

If there is sheathing behind the siding and #30 felt is added + proper flashing at openings; a smooth surface will give a better fit at openings and make a better base than lap siding.

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker

"David" wrote, in part

David; the original posr said cedar 'siding'! I assume that means lapped cedar planks, which here I've heard referred to as 'Clapboard'. i.e. not cedar shingles? Just a detail.

Reply to
Terry