TB x-posting

This is new: Thunderbird seems to think that x-posted messages/newsgroups reside on different servers and refuses to post. Perhaps it thinks that since the people posting use different servers the post itself resides on different servers. Or not.

Anyway, it's maddening...

I'm writing this as an original message x-posted into the three newsgroups just to see what happens...

Reply to
The Real Bev

This is from TB Portable if you see the replies.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I do. This original message x-posted. I've posted into the support.tb group (run by a moderation Nazi) but haven't got a response yet.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Depends on the groups, there are specific limits on some of the groups because of abusive posters, especially the volatile groups, A.U.K, and A.A.V.F.F.F specifically that I am aware of, but there are others.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Some people have thought that posting into a group I'm not subscribed to might be the cuplrit.

alt.home.repair is the culprit in this case. I posted something into a different set of three x-posted groups (two of which I'm not subscribed to) with no problem. Curiouser and curiouser.

Reply to
The Real Bev

And now I posted with no burp. I give up.

Reply to
The Real Bev

How many servers do you have configured besides news.eternal-september.org? Perhaps that news server has some restriction regarding the number of newsgroups you could cross-post to?

The other issue could be that you haven't refreshed the available groups on one of the configured news servers and it thinks that one of the groups you're posting to doesn't exist for that server and it falls back to a server that does have it. IME, the server it uses depends on what you choose as the from field in the compose window. For example, I have one for the news server I'm using to post this article and another one for news.gmane.org.

Reply to
Arif Khokar

Nine. I really only read two -- this one and news.mozilla.org. The others are there because I used to use them and you never can tell...

Nope.

I use a separate identity (bashley101+whatever) for some of the others

-- I configured those ages -- possibly centuries -- ago.

I tried posting into a different existing thread with three x-posted groups with no problem. Then I posted again into the problem thread, and the message went through to all three groups (I assume it went to the one I don't subscribe to since TB said it did and didn't give me the stink-eye message about being unable to save a draft). I have no explanation, but I'm not going to complain. Much. For now.

Did I mention that before? I'm doing similar messages in several places and it's late...

Reply to
The Real Bev

I recall reading once at mozillazone that if you have the same group(s) listed in different servers it can throw up the issue. Can't remember if this was an old issue or not, though, but I often have the same problem.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

That may be possible. I could try to sign up for a eternal-september.org account and set it up in Thunderbird and subscribe to the same groups I have configured with the account I'm using to post this article.

Unfortunately, both groups I participate in are, for the most part, dead in terms of relevant post activity, so, at this point, it's not really worth the effort.

Reply to
Arif Khokar