Tarp tape?

I've never used any, but I've got a couple big tarps that I want to cut down and I was looking for some way to re-do the edges so I could grommet them and have the grommets stay.

Tarp tape *looks* like it should work for that-- and now I'm thinking of making a cover for the snowblower & some other crap using the tape to 'sew' the seams.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Is "Tarp Tape" the brand to use?

Mcmaster has a ?generic? Tarp Repair Tape at a good price- anyone use that stuff?

Thanks- Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Sew the cut edges (make a seam with a double fold) wide enough for the grommets, then apply the tape.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Buy some smaller tarps from HF or wherever.

As soon as you cut up the large tarp, you'll turn around a see an aboject that you want to cover but no longer have a tarp large enough to do so.

DAMHIKT

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have often used good-quality duct tape to do what you are talking about. Holds up for a couple of years at least.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Jim Elbrecht wrote the following:

Tarps are cheap. Buy the size you need without all that labor.

Reply to
willshak

I was reading a web site where guys were pinching "shape" in poly tarps to use as sails. They were using hot glue and finishing it off with an iron. If you are going to be pulling on these edges, don't forget to put a nylon cord in the folded seam behind the grommets.

Reply to
gfretwell

Have good luck with duct tape, but I don't leave it outside. Tyvek tape is designed to hold polyethylene but is probably not uv resistant just like tyvek.

Greg

Reply to
Gz

If these are quality tarps, and not the blue semi-disposables, I'd spring to have the local tent and awning company run it through their monster sewing machine and set the grommets for you. Nothing they ain't seen before, if they do truck/boat tarps.

As to machine covers- generally a bad idea. Makes it all cozy in there for small animals, and promotes condensation and rust. If you don't have garage/shed space, drive 4 stakes into the ground, and put a roof over them. Think mini-carport.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers