Tarnished Schlage

I have a Schlage door knob lock and a separate Schlage dead bolt. When I moved into my home, I had a locksmith come out to replace the locks for security and because they were tarnished. He talked me into keeping the Schlage locks because of their quality. Lately we have started remodeling our house and the tarnished knob and deadbolt are eyesores.

Is there anyway I can replace the knob/plate on these without replacing the whole lock?

Thanks

Chad

Reply to
Bakechad

Next time don't listen to advice from a Locksmith. Strut on over to Home Depot and get some expert advice from people who really care and don't have a vested interest in draining your wallet. HB

Reply to
Hamilcar Barca

I don't suppose you have the original receipts? Schlage locksets used to have a 10-year warranty against all defects, and I've had my front door set replaced twice under that warranty. Their new locks generally have a lifetime warranty, and next time around I'll replace my out-of-warranty locks with the lifetime versions. Why? Schlage's customer service is just outstanding, and they have me as a customer for life (no pun intended). It might be worth an email via their website or give them a call to see if there is anything they can do for you.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I have all Schlage locksets in my home. Being on the ocean I need to have them replated periodically and find that it isn't very expensive to do (last time about $5 per lockset.) I have a couple of extra locksets and when plating is indicated I swap out a tarnished one with a bright looking one and send the removed locksets off to be replated.

RB

Travis Jordan wrote:

Reply to
RB

Our house was built in 1992 and the builder used all Schlage locks - we went to Lowes when some of the outside locks started to get tarnished and the person in the lock and door hardware dept called Schlage and got a number for me to call. I called and they replaced all of the tarnished locks at no charge to me, including the front door's complete 'decorative' set.

Reply to
avoidspam

I've found that Schlage doesn't even want the old ones back - when I call to report a tarnished lockset they just ask me for the key number and then sent me a replacment one, correctly keyed. Never been a charge, and I'm on my third set. One time they did send me a mis-keyed set and when I called to ask about it they just told me to take it to a local locksmith, have it keyed correctly and to send them the bill. They sent me a check about a week later.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

AS a locksmith, I would have installed baldwin image sets with the lifetime finish...only around $100 bucks a lock......plus at least $500 a door to install since we are all crooks.....lol

Actually, to give useful advice and answer the original posters question. You would have to change the whole lock. Luckilly, more and more companies are coming out with their version of Baldwin's lifetime finish..i beleive schlage calls theirs Ultima or something like that. You should be able to find replacements for a reasonable price. Then again, if you want the best go with Baldwin. They are pretty easy to change yourself as well, any good hardware store or home center, or locksmith would spend a few minutes with you to show you how to do it as long as you buy the locks from them. Good luck

Reply to
Mzone719