tapping outlet for light switch

I've got a 20A circuit, #12 wire for the feed the outlets (4 of them). I would like to add a switch and tap the outlet to feed the light switch (in a closet).
Is it up to code to use a #14 (either back-stabbed or screwed-on) to feed the switch? I realized that mixing wire gauges is not always good practice. However, I've got a lot of left-over #14 that can be used for the short run.
thanks rich
You really should use #12 wire.
The #14 is not to code on a 20 amp circuit.

Mixing gauges is fine; I just ran a circuit partly in #10 and #12 because I wanted to minimize voltage drop. But it was a 20a circuit. Your problem is that #12 is the minimum for a 20a circuit. You can reduce the breaker to 15a.
I don't believe there is anything in the code regarding your intention, except that the breaker size would have to be reduced to protect the smallest conductor or 15 amp in your case. IMO it is a poor practice, as someone in the future can to easily replace the 15 amp breaker with a 20, not being aware of what you've done

snipped-for-privacy@altavista.net wrote:

Nope. Others have already explained why you can't use #14 on a 20A circuit, but I want to point out that backstabbed terminals aren't approved for use with #14 wire in any case. They used to be... but not any more.
--
Regards,
On Aug 22, 7:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Pardon the dumb question, but what are they approved for then, #12? I never use them, so it is a moot point for me, but I collect tidbits of information...
JK
Big_Jake wrote:

They were designed for both, but to allow the larger to be inserted, the spring/holes had to be large enough which turned out to not be adequate holding power in the long run for the smaller. Empirical data seems to indicate the #12 is still adequate to not be such a problem so it hasn't been repealed.

Exactly.
--
Regards,
A few years ago the manufacturers turned down the back stab holes so they couldn't be used with #12, but as far as I know, they're still approved for 14

this)@optonline.net> wrote:

Could be you're right -- I might have that backwards.

--
Regards,