tapping outlet for light switch

I've got a 20A circuit, #12 wire for the feed the outlets (4 of them). I would like to add a switch and tap the outlet to feed the light switch (in a closet).

Is it up to code to use a #14 (either back-stabbed or screwed-on) to feed the switch? I realized that mixing wire gauges is not always good practice. However, I've got a lot of left-over #14 that can be used for the short run.

thanks rich

Reply to
a2rjh

You really should use #12 wire.

The #14 is not to code on a 20 amp circuit.

Reply to
greg6755

Mixing gauges is fine; I just ran a circuit partly in #10 and #12 because I wanted to minimize voltage drop. But it was a 20a circuit. Your problem is that #12 is the minimum for a 20a circuit. You can reduce the breaker to 15a.

Reply to
Toller

Reply to
RBM

Nope. Others have already explained why you can't use #14 on a 20A circuit, but I want to point out that backstabbed terminals aren't approved for use with #14 wire in any case. They used to be... but not any more.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Pardon the dumb question, but what are they approved for then, #12? I never use them, so it is a moot point for me, but I collect tidbits of information...

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

snipped-for-privacy@altavista.net wrote: ...

They were designed for both, but to allow the larger to be inserted, the spring/holes had to be large enough which turned out to not be adequate holding power in the long run for the smaller. Empirical data seems to indicate the #12 is still adequate to not be such a problem so it hasn't been repealed.

--

Reply to
dpb

A few years ago the manufacturers turned down the back stab holes so they couldn't be used with #12, but as far as I know, they're still approved for

14

Reply to
RBM

Exactly.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Could be you're right -- I might have that backwards.

Reply to
Doug Miller