Tapping into the drain

Hi,

In the following picture, you'll see a big drain pipe (case iron) with two smaller 2" drain pipes going into it on the right:

I'm a DIYer and I would like to add another 2" drain pipe into the main drain. I just moved my washer and dryer to a new location and have a long PVC pipe going to the sink, which works but is totally ugly. This drain is within 3 feet of the washer.

What's involved here? Is it doable for a DIYer? How much would I spend on new tools, etc etc.

Many thanks in advance! I've gotten tremendous guidance on this project in this group so far. Thank you.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

What an odd arrangement...

Anyway, no special tools needed. Saw out a section of the left hand 2" drain. Get a plastic 2" TEE-WYE and 2 short pieces of 2" plastic pipe. Glue them into the TEE-WYE.

Order (2) #3001-22 Proflex couplings:

They will make a very rigid connection from the plastic to copper.

Provide a 2" P-trap for the washer to drain into (with a vertical standpipe). Be sure to slope the drain from P-trap to the cast iron.

You may/probably need a vent to protect the P-trap. A Studor mechanical vent is one choice, rather than running to a roof terminal:

And if you have any concern about this meeting Code or township regs, better ask them first.

Reply to
Speedy Jim