tapered or flat washer

I replaced the washers and seats in the standard hot and cold shower handles in a thirty year old house. I used 3/8" flat washers I already had. I also had some tapered washers. Does anyone know which to use in this situation? The old washers were so badly torn up they might have been either.

Thanks

Reply to
Jeff

If you used the flat, did they work? The tapered are sometimes substituted when you have a chewed up seat, not your case since you also replaced the seats. IIRC some seats may require a tapered too. Not too sure about that one. Go with what works.

Reply to
No

According to the owner of a local supply shop, all washered faucets leave the factory with flat washers. Most plumbers replace bad washers with flat.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Either will work but I've always found tapered to last longer and to have a better "feel". They seem to be more forgiving of any imperfections.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher