tapcon hell

Page 2 of 2

Another thing that helps is when you are drilling the hole, run the drill up and down a few times to ream out the hole a bit. Tapcons have always worked fine for me--I've tossed a powder actuated gun in the dumpster in a fit of rage before, so they sure aren't a panacea-- jams, spalling, underdriven fasteners are all problems. (unless you spend the money and get a Hilti). For instances where you are primarily concerned about shear, I like drive in pegs or rawls for ease of use and low tech simplicity.. Using a manual screwdriver on a tapcon sounds like a hard way to serve the Lord.

I don't have the box in front of me, but I seem to remember that the instructions said: "Hammer Drill."
The "kit" they sell is designed to use the same drill for drilling and driving.

A hammer drill to drill the hole, and an impact driver to drive the the Tapcons. Very different tools.

(a) used the right size drill bit and (b) drilled the hole deep enough, there shouldn't be any problem, in my experience. I do rub the threads across a bar of paraffin before installing them, (as I do with almost any concrete or wood screw) but I usually just put Tapcons in by hand using a nut driver or by using a socket on my cordless drill.

drill a hole and pound it in