tapcon hell

Guys, I don't understand all these posts. I don't recall ever having a problem with tapcons in concrete. Hard fired brick I have experienced some problems.

Are you following the directions? The screw should only penetrate the concrete by 3/4", an absolute 1" maximum.

Don't mean to insult anyone with that question.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I don't have the box in front of me, but I seem to remember that the instructions said: "Hammer Drill."

The "kit" they sell is designed to use the same drill for drilling and driving.

Reply to
John Gilmer

A hammer drill to drill the hole, and an impact driver to drive the the Tapcons. Very different tools.

RicodJour

Are you sure you're using the right size bit to make the holes? If you've (a) used the right size drill bit and (b) drilled the hole deep enough, there shouldn't be any problem, in my experience. I do rub the threads across a bar of paraffin before installing them, (as I do with almost any concrete or wood screw) but I usually just put Tapcons in by hand using a nut driver or by using a socket on my cordless drill.

Reply to
JimR

Try using a rawl pin sometimes called a split ring? drill a hole and pound it in

Reply to
Mike