Tankless water heaters -- inneresting take.

On replacing water heaters before they leak. I am 56:( and have wached gas water heaters fail since I was a little child. Average failure is around 9 years, historical average.....

not wanting the hassles of a leaking tank I replace mine at 8 years, it works for me:)

Reply to
bob haller

It all depends on the consequences of a tank failure, who is going to fix it if it fails, etc. If it's located in an unfinished area where water spewing from it won't cause damage it's one thing. If it's in an upstairs living space, it's quite another. And it depends on who is going to replace it. The case where it's a DIY job and you can be without water for two days is different from the little old lady that may have to call a plumber on a weekend. If the failure could be costly, I don't see anything wrong with replacing it before it fails based on typical age from experience. It's replace it at 10 years for $700 when you can negotiate, get a good price, etc or again depending on the circumstances, replace it after it fails at 14 years for $1500+

Reply to
trader4

my water heater is in my basement shop its kinda unfinished however all the business stuff down there, i really dont want it getting wet......

years ago I heard waer running, the tank had failed spewing water from the top like a fountain. fortunately i heard the water running and got it shut off before the water ruined a bunch of expensive control circuit boards... at 600 bucks each they cost more than a new water heater....:(

Reply to
bob haller

Please don't bother Attila with details. He's already forgotten that electricity can be stored in batteries. I was going to mention in capacitors, as well, but I didn't want to risk him having an epileptic seizure or sumpn....

Reply to
Existential Angst

Yes, I agree with you. For at least some people, it can be well worth it to just replace water heaters on a fixed schedule. After all, it's done in many other applications. Airlines for example don't wait for an engine to fail. They have a given number of hours of service before they are replaced. And when work is done on a car, if you have to replace an engine component, it's not unusual to also replace other components that you have good access to at the time, based on their mileage. If you know that water pumps for a particular car tend to fail at 100K+ miles, and you have to replace the radiator, I'd do the WP while it's easy, assuming I was going to keep the car. Mechanics replace radiator hoses based on age/mileage as another example.

Reply to
trader4

In some parts of my state, electricity is stored behind dams. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Go to your store and check the terminology used Another example where the terms have been played with

Reply to
Attila Iskander

No, I haven't, dummy Are you trying to claim that the electric grid has storage facilities to help during peak loads ?

Keep winking, boi It's the only way you can justify all that ignorance you spout.

Reply to
Attila Iskander

And do they actually suck water from downstream to pump it back into the dam ??

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Not that I know of but I have seen such a system or proposal for one some years ago. I don't know without researching if it has ever been implemented but it's been years since I read about it in a science magazine. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Been a mechanic since 1969 - the refill is the rubber edge mounted to a plastic or steel stiffener that slides into the frame of the wiper blade assembly. In North America always has been that way.

Some companies, like Honda, still supply the refills for a reasonable cost - a viable alternative to replacing the whole Blade. Most aftermarket blades are built so that refills are not available, practical, or even possible.

Reply to
clare

ews:kem5rg$j50$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

they do that at niagra falls, during the night they pump water from the river and release it during the day thru turbines to help cover peak loads.......

during tourist hors theres a limit on how much water niagra power can use, so the falls dont dry up.

Reply to
bob haller

It's been decades since I flew, but I vaguely remember the rules were that every hundred hours of operation required an extensive engine maintenance inspection/tune-up/etc.

I never heard of an explicit time limit on replacing, but I would guess part of such an inspection would be deciding whether to replace.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

messagenews:kem5rg$j50$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

The turbines do both. Niagara isn't the only place its done, either, though with the demise of nuclear there's a lot less activity in this area than there was thirty years ago.

Reply to
krw

I've bought refills for most all of the blades I've had over the years, even after market blades. Auto parts stores sell both in most brands.

Reply to
krw

Hmmmmm....... I think they call it...... R-A-I-N??? Not sure..... hmmmm..... let me look it up, just to be sure....

Existential Angst

years ago alaska air made a killer mistake, and extended the time to lube and inspect the jack screw for the rudder. Resulted in a plane crash where all passengers died...

airlines have lots of regulations that when ignored cause major troubles

theres a episode of air emergency on this a fascinating show to watch, on national geographic network

Reply to
bob haller

I believe there is an hour limit for an engine where it has to then have a major rebuild. That is what I was referring to as "replacing it", because I think what is typically done is they take the engine off the plane and replace it with another rebuilt or new engine. The old engine is then taken and rebuilt if appropriate. It's still the same kind of principle though that Bob is using with water heaters. They swap engines and rebuild based on time, service conditions, etc instead of waiting for a failure.

Reply to
trader4

Yes. In California a few years ago, during one of their periods of energy scarcity, several generating stations pumped water back into the resevoir during off-peak hours (night). The California equivalent of a perpetual-motion machine.

Reply to
HeyBub

Attila Iskander wrote: .

Some do:

An Alaska electric co-op: The system, which comes in a 53-foot trailer, is built by Premium Power Corporation of North Reading, Mass., and can provide one-half megawatt of power and at least 4 hours of energy storage. KEA General Manager Brad Reeve says the co-op may also employ the system to help them use the wind energy more efficiently. Notes Reeve: "We'll be taking wind in, say, the summer, when the loads are low and we've got plenty of wind, and storing that in the battery to be used later, to time shift it to the peaking times of the day so we can keep diesel engines off line."

And another: "Alaskan utility Kodiak Electric Association (KEA)announced that it plans to install a 3 MW battery farm and management system made by Xtreme Power next to its large wind farm."
And another view: "The system was designed and supplied by the ABB Group. When a generator drops off, the system can provide up to 27 megawatts of power for 15 minutes. That is roughly the time needed to fire up another power plant. The system can also provide more electricity for shorter periods. For example, in one test, the system delivered 46 megawatts for five minutes."

HeyBub