Tankless water heaters

Page 3 of 5

This is one of the specs the manufacturers publish, I've seen 0.5 gpm, 0.66 gpm, and 0.75 gpm. That's the hot water portion of the demand, so 1 gpm of warm water might only be 0.6 gpm of hot water, say.

I believe a kitchen faucet is required to be max 2.5 gpm these days. So you couldn't run a trickle, but could still run it fairly low. Perhaps someone who has one of these tankless water heaters could comment?
Cheers, Wayne

takes longer to get warm water than with a tanked unit (the heater doesn't come on "full bore" with at low flow, so it takes longer to heat up the heat exchanger). Never had a problem with it simply not triggering.
Izit a gas or electrical unit. Also, which is more economical electrical or City gas?
Thank

electric tankless heaters (which, AFAIK, are all different from the guys who make the gas units). I doubt there are very places in the US where it's cheaper to run electric rather than gas (I live in an area with under 6 cents a kWh power, and it's still cheaper to use gas for heating anything).
Turn on flow rates differ but are around 1/2 - 1 gpm so it will not trickle out hot. I have a small 117000 Bosch and the savings are worth it , it needs a 1/2" gas line to 10- ft. then 3/4 if further away. Larger 2 shower units need 3/4 line. Bosch Takagi and Rinnai are the main names and most are made in Japan. My unit will heat easily 34f incomming to a hot shower without being set on high. The larger more efficient units will really handle 3 showers. Ratings are key, the gpm and temp rise. Takagi has a new unit that is the highest efficiency made at 92% Ng
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

sort've doubt they're aiming at the home market...
3x the price I did not know that. The price makes me happy with my 600$ small 82% Bosch

We put the bigger bosch tankless water heater in our new house last fall---hard to compare savings without a base line but sure do like never running out of hot water! Downsides are that it takes awhile to get hot water(wife complins!) and sometimes at less than full throttle hw is lost temporarily--but can put 400gals of HW in the hot tub that is a plus for us for sure!
When we build the next place will bet that swmbo will make sure that there will be some form of instat hot water in HER bathroom! ymmv
Buzz
GALIER writes:

The old man on the radio is a huckster pitchman. Don't buy anything he sells.

Really, you know this how?
George writes:

He sells that $500 boom box. That vacuum cleaner. Tankless water heaters. Stuff for suckers who wanna believe.
The Rinnai has a continuously modulating gas valve, goes from low to high flow with outlet temperature + or- two degrees. I don't know what the minimum flow is. They do have a very large size burner, 199,000 BTU/Hr max. You will need a large gas pipe for that. Not simple to work on either. There are screens that can clog up from crud in the water. Very efficient however, no standby losses either. Some good & some bad to them.
Stretch
His $500 boom box is now over a grand............it's like 1200 bucks or more.(this model also has a 5 disc changer with it I believe)
The guy that sells the vaccum cleaners is a different guy. I always hear that guy trying to throw in a free $100 iron too.
Tankless water heaters are not sold just by "the old man on the radio" so I feel like they may have some potential. some others posting real life experiences here are making a good argument "for" tankless........at least as a supplemental piece. I am considering a small one under the sink, as My home is Slab foundation and all the water has to go through a cold slab to get to the kitchen.............more than halfway across the house. Takes a while.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB

OK, so you are saying he is a credible guy then? That tankless water heater is made by a very reputable company (Rinnai) and happens to be work really well.

Bosch - Takagi - Rennai all make great tankless gas water heaters. Rennai seems to be the top of the line.

IMO, Paul Harvey is a rather credible individuals and I'd not hesitate to buy anything he is selling. I'd rate him as one of the most interesting people in the world. Honest.
If there is a water shutoff, you can drain a tank model to get some water for your personal use.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Edward Grant writes:

That's code language for "these things are a bad idea all around", which is what I've been saying here for years. A retailer like Home Depot has to more or less deliver what they promise, and they can't make a business out of selling fantasies like tankless water heaters.
We hit the swindlers' trifecta today in the Palm Beach Post newspaper: ads for tankless water heaters, never-paint-again liquid siding, and dust mite duct cleaning.
Edward Grant wrote:

They may not be able to carry the good brand (can't buy them at their price, supplier decided homeowners who install them won't do it properly etc) so they are badmouthing them.

bread, but they weren't selling enough to make it worth their while...
I like mine, but they're certainly not for everyone. I'll let you know in another 25 years or so about the reliability aspect...