Tankless HW heater tax credit

Several posts about tankless HW heaters rec I thought I would remond y'all that are considering one that there are tax incentives in the US that went into effect on January 1. Many energy saving things are eligble for the incentive including some (but not all?) tankless "cold water heaters".
See http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits
-B
No writes:

Baloney.
These things are less efficient than conventional. Boob bait for suckers.
The tax credit law doesn't recognize them.

You may or may not be correct about more/less efficient than conventional. Seems to me, as a layman, that it would be more efficient not to have hot water stored for hours on end when you only need it a few times a day. That's just me. I know there are other factors and I am doing my homework because my 40gal is not big enough to keep up.
As for the new tax credit - It definitely DOES apply. See http://www.rheem.com/tankless/tankless_tax.asp http://www.globaltowne.com / http://www.tanklesswaterheaters.com/taxcredit.html
And on and on. The key to the credit is an "energy factor" of .80. Seems some have that and others do not. I have found NO 75gal or larger NG tank style heaters that are eligible.

This is simply false. Wayne
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Tankless with electric pilot (no standing pilot) DO indeed qualify for a $300 tax credit on NEXT year's 2006 tax return.
Robert Gammon writes:

This applies to any type. Nothing to do with being tankless.