Tankless Hot Water Heaters Questions

Page 1 of 2
Hello:
Have been looking at homes lately, and find that many are using tankless water heaters for supplying the hot water faucets in the home.
Know nothing about how these works, or their pros and cons.
I can figure out how the electric models work, I think, but how do the gas and oil ones operate ?
I had a very old house once that had a tankless water heater on the regular home furnace. I'm not sure if the heat from the furnace, or some of the water used for the forced hot water heating system was on the primary side of this heat exchanger. Just out of curiosity which was most likely ?
a. Any explanations on how my old one probably functioned, and how the new ones do now would be most appreciated.
b. are they generally considered to be cheaper to operate than the stand alone tank types (I live in the Northeast) ?
c. are they very popular these days ?
d. pros and cons ?
Much thanks, Bob
I have a Bosch gas tankless, my bills dropped by more than 50% in summer. Bosch has a 15 yr coil warranty and senses water flow to give the correct amount of heat. Takagi makes larger units and Bosche`s large unit. I have a 4-5 yr pay back a good investment.
Are you able to take 2 showers at the same time? Or are you able to take a shower and have dishwasher run? Someone told me that the newer ones are sensing output temp to account for more than one fixture on at the same time.?
TIA.

I have the smal 117000 btu unit and could possibly but I have 1 shower. I have run a sink and shower fine. If you need 2 use get the 188000 btu model by Takagi. Takagi makes Bosches large unit and can come with remote thermostat. Bosch and takagi heat with flow, the more gpm the more heat is given. I believe heat starts at 1/2 gpm.
What do these cost aprox.? Not for the installation just the tanks and trim.
I know that a gas water heater is aprox 30k btus & understand that one cannot run them constantly. And lets just say that they cost average of 400.
Oreo

I live in a mobile home, where the water heater is about 40' from the kitchen faucet.
I've been looking at small ( 1.5 gal ) water heaters. They're about the size of a large picnic jug. Sit under the sink, and plug into any 120v outlet. You plumb it in series with your hot water faucet.
It probably handles most of the kitchen faucet needs.
wrote:

<rj>
Greetings,
Instead you might look at a pump which circulates hot water between the faucet and the existing tank so that there is always hot water instantly when you turn on the tap. Just be sure to insulate your how water pipes.
Hope this helps, William

Why do you want to heat hot water?
We have had great luck with our envirotech unit and use it for hydronic heating and hot water. We adjust the temp when we use it for a shower or need a lower temp. In the summer we keep it at a low temp 85deg and turn it up when we need hotter water. We have saved over 20% compared to our gas unit. I also live in the northeast and these units can heat 30deg water hot enough for a shower and even hotter than you can stand for washing dishes. Only reason people don't like them is the high amp rating of the heater scares them away. Mine is 120amps. Also they are easy to install if there is an electrical panel close by it can be installed in less than an hour. Plumbers can't make much on an hour of work. And they last longer so they won't be replacing it too soon so that also makes plumbers profit go down. Some people with really hard water or other water problems need a new heater every few years. This unit won't leak guaranteed and the stainless steel elements will last a long time. Let me know if your interested I can get you a deal on one
Robert Rolleston 518-260-5934

So Rolleston you SELL them. Well in most of the US gas is 60% cheaper than electric and the N East some areas are near 70% cheaper for gas. So I think you are full of cow crap. I put in a Gas Tankless, I removed a double insulated electric tank and my utilies went down 80%.. No I do not sell them , so I am unbiased unlike you. All research and facts prove gas is cheaper, than even electric tankless. Even Bosch-Aquastar agree and they sell electric tankless as well as gas.
I'm not saying they are cheaper just saying they are good and will save money. But that all depends on gas price only gas available here is propane at about 3 bucks a gallon and electric at .10 a kw/h or less we save about 20 percent. Plus the heat we used to lose out the 4 inch hole in the roof. We also like the full 5 year warranty that covers everything in the unit and a lifetime warranty against leaking. Before I sell a unit I always offer to help the buyer figure out operating costs. And yes with people that have a really cheap gas price usually don't buy.

I HOPE that was a typo - 120 AMPS??? snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
no that's it 120amp's works great even get a nice hot shower with water coming in at almost freezing temps.

This is for all you people out there that are against Electric Tankless Water Heaters. These will be available from Stiebel Eltron at the end of 2004. I will be adding this beast to my must have list. Along with maybe another 200 amp panel to power it.
3$ a gallon for propane .10KWH where do you live, and NG price ? Your claims on savings do not reflect US bulk propane or any Ng gas cost comparison. Therefore they are untrue as to true pricing. But I am not suprised you play with facts, you are just selling them any BS way you can.
we don't have NG available we are quite far out of town. We are near the vermont border.

My gas company changes prices so much sometimes you can call for a price and when they finally deliver it can be different unless you pay for a large amount usually more than one will use in a year. Then they will give you a deal.

Your claims on energy savings are unrealistic and do not represent 99% of the US.
3 $ propane a gallon B.S. give me the supliers name and location. HD sells 14 oz for 2.79, and 20 lb here for 18 $. Sure you say you save, but nobody else will at normal utility costs.
Other than that if you have a 120a circuit free they and only pay 0.4 KWH they work well. Gee I only have a 100a panel, And adding 150a will only cost 1000- 1500 $ sounds like a great idea. Especialy at 0.125 Kwh
$1000-$1500 to install a 150a service. That seems pretty high.

So they save money and have a Lifetime warranty against leaking.
Lifetime eh, looks like there won`t be a company around to back zip , but maybe you know that and are just unloading stock, You have BS ed on everything else.