Tankless hot water heater

Installed Titan tankless hot water heater recently and all is well, with the exception that the washing machine water starts hot then gets cold and will not heat back up.
I even turned off the cold water valve at the washing machine and get the same result. What could it be and what should I do?
Thanks
Installed Titan tankless hot water heater recently and all is well, with the exception that the washing machine water starts hot then gets cold and will not heat back up.
I even turned off the cold water valve at the washing machine and get the same result. What could it be and what should I do?
Thanks

Tankless probably has a minimum flow rate,,if the min flow is'nt maintained the heat shuts down,,it sounds like You may be right close to drawing that rate at the wash machine..Is the hot supply valve at the machine all the way open? Dean
Jimbo wrote:

Well if everything else is working properly then it has to be the flow is to low to trigger the heater to come on. Have you checked the screen on the inlet of the washer? There might be enough crap in there to cut down on the flow? I run the water in the sink to get my tankless heater going and hot water in the lines while I'm loding the washing machine.
Good luck, Rich

To check minimum flow while running washer turn on other faucet fully, if water then heats its a minimum flow problem.
Check the capacity of the heating unit at a given temperature rise. The figure is fairly low. We do not install them for potable water unless they are aware of the limitations of them, or are willing to install the proper sized unit
The GPM is also rated at a maximum inlet temp. Also a consideration one has to take into account.
I suspect your water heater is too small for your house. I would have the plumber who designed and installed it replace it with the properly sized unit. There is nothing wrong with the water heater.
Another way of operation is to add a storage unit, with a recirc line. In that scenario you would pretty much have unlimited hot water. With out much increase in fuel costs
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (home)