Tankless hard cost numbers

http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/waterheating.htm
best comparison I have seen, compares electric, gas, oil, standard vs tankless yearly water heating costs.
Even has install costs, expected lifetimes of units etc.
good reading for anyone considering a new hot water unit
On Sat, 3 May 2008 14:10:57 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

It's a good resource, but I'd caution that some of the assumptions need updating. For example, the cost of fuel oil in the price comparison table is listed as $2.40 a gallon and, today, that number would be closer to $4.00 (I'm currently paying $4.17 a gallon). On that basis, the annual energy cost of a conventional oil-fired water heater would fall in the range of $1,100.00, as opposed to the $650.00 shown here.
Cheers, Paul

yep very true, must be hard to run a website with such volatile fuel costs..
natural gas will have gone up over 20% since april, for the fall heating season locally
we are getting a new 95% furnace with air, and i am looking at hot water heaters since ours is old and really should be moved during the new furnace install...... more efficent use of space.
if the condensing furnaces are truly 2 grand i would never save any money...
thats how i stumbled on to this info
On Sat, 3 May 2008 17:09:30 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I fear natural gas prices are about to take off like a scared rabbit. I won't bore you with the technical reasons (there are several and all decidedly negative); I'll simply note that the Nymex Henry Hub price closed Friday at $10.78 per MMBtu and that's more than double the front-month close of just eight months ago. What's also interesting is that inventory levels are falling at a time when they normally rise in advance of the summer a/c season; that suggests price will be under even greater pressure come fall -- if it turns out to be another hot summer and all those gas turbines are busting their asses keeping those a/c units humming, things could turn a tad ugly.
Cheers, Paul
meant condensing hot water tanks 2 grand.........

Paul -
Where the heck do you live?? Diesel at the pump is around $4.20 where I am (WI), so you subtract the taxes and get retail fuel oil at around $3.80 (ish). Holy cow!
JK
On Sat, 3 May 2008 17:10:48 -0700 (PDT), Big_Jake

Hi Jake,
I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia and I currently pay $1.109 per litre which, if my math is correct, translates to be $4.17 per gallon (i.e., 1 U.S. gallon = 3.76 litres). Taxes extra.
Mind you, it could be worse. The average price is reported to be $129.9 per litre in Victoria, B.C. and that converts to a whopping $4.88 per gallon ($5.13 with tax).
Source: http://www.mjervin.com/WPPS_Public.htm
Cheers, Paul