Tamper-resistant sheet metal screws (Pin type)

Page 1 of 2
McMaster-Carr, MSC, and Grainger industrial supply houses have sheet metal screws that go by the name of "pin-in-hex", "pin-in-torx", "tamperproof", or just plain "security sheet metal screws"
Basically, these sheet metal screws are hex-key (or torx) button (pan?) head screws but in the center of the hex key is a hardened pin. Takes a special hex key or torx drive to install or remove. (I presume here that any interested reader can do their own search of the above Industrial supply houses for detailed sketches of what the heck I am talking about.)
There are other "security" sheet metal screws, like "spanner", "One-way" and so forth. But I want to concentrate on Hex or Torx.
I am looking for a tamper-resistant sheet metal screw; i.e. I can take on and off, but not unauthorized.
So the question, how common is the hex key with the pin hole, or the torx with the pin hole? If every Uncle Bob has one of those, then I need to try again. But if it is mostly uncommon, I will feel OK.
Tamper-resistant is not thief-proof nor vandalism-proof, I am looking for casual nosy curiosity resistance. Make them take time to search for a removal tool.
Any opinions on how commom the tamper-resistance hex key and torx key tools are?
TIA Phil

The keep 10 year old girls from taking things apart, but anyone that can order a tool can remove them too. Welding is the only secure way.

can
Not looking for security, only looking for tamper-resistance. Yes, anyone can purchase the tool, but the effort to purchase the tool is enough in my case. Determined bad guys could always use crow-bar with pipe extension and not worry about screws, rivets, or welding at all. However, if everyone has the tool already, and the effort to purchase isn't there, then I will go with a spanner type sheet metal screw. But I would rather go with a pin-in.
Phil Again wrote:

A full security bit set is available from numerous sources for $5-10. If you want any sort of security or even tamper resistance you really need to look at something beyond the screws.

Harbor Freight has a set of bits for around $8 to fit every security screw you mentioned, including spanners. So yeah, they're very easy to get. The only one I didn't find in the set was a 5 sided w/pin for the screw that holds the handle on a propane tank. KC
My 100 piece HF set didn't help me take apart my cell phone. I'm also not sure it had the proper tip to dissemble Leatherman tools. Five lobe pin torx, or some strange setup.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

They seem pretty uncommon to me. I've bought sets of special tips, in red vinyl bricks, maybe 3 x 2 x 2 inches. They contained torx, but not pin-in iirc. I've only seen them at hamfests and iirc harborfreight.
I have another set in a baby blue hard plastic box, with hinges at one end and a handle at the other, and it has pin in. Sold at the smae places. Right, it was not expensive, but I bet less than 1/2 a percent have them.
mm wrote:

You need to look at your set closer. The little red brick contains pin-torx, pin-allen and pin-spanner as well as several other less common varieties.

It is very uncommon for a run-of-the-mill person to have them but they are easy enough to get.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91310
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:33:05 -0800 (PST), Limp Arbor

I looked at the ad, and it itemizes the tips, but doesn't mention pin-in. The kind with the hole in the tip.
On 2/11/2009 8:03 PM mm spake thus:

I have a set of those bits from Harbor Freight, and I'm pretty sure it includes those ones with the holes for pins.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it

Click on either of the 'related items' in the ad and you will see a blownup pic of the bits.
mm wrote:

You didn't read it very well, in the list are:
9 hollow tip torque 6 hollow metric hex 6 hollow SAE hex
"Hollow" is just another description for the pin-in, pin center style. They can also be clearly seen in the pictures.
Sorry, it it doesn't mention pin-in, and it certainly doesn't mention torx pin-in.

mm wrote:

You didn't read it very well, in the list are:
9 hollow tip torque 6 hollow metric hex 6 hollow SAE hex
"Hollow" is just another description for the pin-in, pin center style. They can also be clearly seen in the pictures.

Why does this say torque and not torx? But regardless, you're right.

You're right about hollow.
Just 2 days ago I got an add-on for Firefox, Image Zoom**, and this is first time I had a real use fo rit, and you're right. Enlarged I could see that it was torx.
So it's easy to get, but I still think that few people will have it, mostly the guys who love to buy tools, and I don't think they are the same ones who tear things apart just for fun.
The OP had said:

I'll bet most nosy people and teen-age vandals (the most common age) have been to or even heard of Harbor Freight.
** https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=zoom+image&cat=all

mm:
You win the prize----- You seem to one of the very few who have actually made an attempt to answer my question.
I honestly don't care how easy it is to get the tool. The inconvenience of driving to HF, or Sears, or ordering on the Internet is in itself enough deterrent. And as you stated, guys who love tools and / or likely to have the tool back at home, are not going to remove the screws or take it apart just for fun; but if they have a *need* they will get the tool and open it. Which is OK with me.
Thanks to all who replied.
Phil
Phil Again wrote:

Pin in center fasteners are easily defeated with an automatic center punch. You place the tip of the punch in the space between the pin and drive surface, push and it will break off the the pin so a standard hex or Torx bit can be used. I remember seeing a fastener that had a head similar to a dome nut but without the flats. The head was not as tall as a dome nut, more like a round head screw but slightly out of round so nothing but the matching tool could grip it.
TDD
theres a wierd torx pin type used in prisons. i found out after attempting to move a security screen in a friends van. the security screen company admitted it was very high security and likely no one would sell me the tool.
so i ground off the heads.
apparently the pupeteer van was originally destined for police work...
i saw the same fastner when a cop gave me and my wife a ride after our vehicle broke down.
police car back seats are very cramped and not comfy...
that week all 3 of our vehicles died, the last ones transmission blew up ...........

I bought two sets at Micro Center and between the two of them I probably spent less than $20 and now can take just about anything apart. I picked up the pentagonal one from a sprinkler guy, that didn't come with the sets (that one I believe is also used on some waterflow switch covers)
nate