Taking our our trash

On 11/20/2014 1:10 PM, W. eWatson wrote:

Not certain what size your containers are, but I can fit two of my 55 gallon cans in mine and have used it for that purpose. Though, I only have about 100 feet to walk.
On 11/20/14, 1:10 PM, W. eWatson wrote:

Like Ed, I wonder if steering a wagon downhill on pavement would be convenient.
I don't know what kind of cans you have. Mine has 12" wheels and a plastic rail across the back at belt height. It should work better than a wagon, downhill on pavement.
If I wanted to move two on one trip, I'd lash the rails to a broomstick. A loop around the end of the stick, several turns around the stick and each rail, and tie the cord to the other end of the stick.
If your can wheels are inadequate and a wagon is a nuisance to steer, what about a lightweight two-wheeled truck with light boards tied to it, to hold two cans?

Garden trolley carts are sold hereabouts for $100-125. Some are stronger than others. Mine can carry 700 lb. yet rolls easily over grass. One of its uses is to take out garbage (only 300 ft. but unpaved) in winter and summer.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

You can lift a full or half-full trash can to put in the van, but you can't, or don't like to, walk 1500' to roll it to the street?

Learn to like it. You can use the time to admire your property, Get a walk-man to keep you company. If you can enjoy trolling here, you can learn to enjoy the walk.
On Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:14:49 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:

Are you off your meds...this doesn't sound like you?
On 11/20/2014 11:14 AM, micky wrote:

Leave the two big containers "down front", maybe stashed behind a tree or bush, and just haul smaller sacks to it you have occasion to go out. That's what we do.
Anyone else remember daily trash pickups? Not to mention twice daily mail delivery; Saturday too but only once IIRC.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

cannot (truck too big, trees too low, etc)
On 11/20/2014 12:00 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

The answer depends on your reason for not walking them down. If you are 80 years old and crippled with arthritis, my answer is different than if you are 25 years old and lazy.
If you are capable of walking, but the containers are awkward, I'd make either a wagon to pull or a cart to push,something like this http://www.mcmaster.com/#platform-trucks/=uohvbr
A better design though is to move the steering wheels fore and aft. Put two fixed casters in the center. Put the swivel casters one in the front middle, the other in the back middle. This allows fast, easy steering. We use them where I work in sizes from 2 x 4 to 5 x 10. Use large casters.
Carts work well up or down hill, wagons are not as easy going down.
Healthy walking is 10,000 steps a day so this is a good start.
On 11/20/14, 3:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Our municipal cans have 12" wheels 1.5" wide. The handles are at belt height. Can't beat that.
In 1996, I had my driveway shortened from 2100' to 35'. Now when I take my can to the street, I find it simpler not to tie it to my spare tire and tow it.
On 11/20/2014 6:43 PM, J Burns wrote:

How the heck did they do that? Put it in the dryer under cotton until it shrank?
On 11/20/2014 6:43 PM, J Burns wrote:

Wow, how did they do that? Cut a big trench and push the house towards the street?
On 11/20/2014 9:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm going with the clothes dryer on cotton setting theory. Of course, if they invent polyester driveways, I could change that.
On 11/20/2014 12:00 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

Thinking further, if you have a long drive, is it safe to assume you have a huge yard? Thus, is it safe to assume you have a riding mower? Perhaps you can attach a trailer or that wagon I stated and pull with the mower.
Just a thought.

What horsepucky!! I have a electric golf cart, to which I often hook this garden/utility trailer to:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/10-Cube-Steel-Trailer-Cart/10135857
The hitch I made used a 3/8" ring bolt and some lock and fender washers and nuts. Cost about $5 and required I drill a single hole. Besides, you don't need a garage. Golf carts are made to live outdoors and be abused by fat old drunks who can barely see, let alone drive. In short, the damn things are built like Mack trucks and are made to last forever. Mine is over 25 yrs old and looks/works like new. I may not even bother to put my Winter rain cover (w/ zippers and windows) on, this yr. It's not like cold weather or precip is gonna hurt it. BTW, I don't have a garage.
Besides, if you can afford to pave 250 yds of driveway, why do you even care? Pay an illegal alien (oops ...undocumented!) to do it for you. ;)
nb

no, he just built a new garage. But now the hike from the house to the new garage is about 2000 feet.
On 11/20/14, 9:47 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

my porch.
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Yep. That is what the gardeners use at the botanical garden. Not cheap. This one is $10,995: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261659871415
Cheaper is a used golf cart with platform on the back: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291303368043 But the OP doesn't have space in his garage for one.
My mom uses a garden wagon. Somewhat like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151484721694
Maybe the OP could use something to tow it. (There are many listings for this cart on eBay.)

Can they be left outside? The OP doesn't have any more room in the garage.