Taking our our trash

What was obvious was that she had to park her car on a fast, two-lane country road because the jerk trash collector left the barrels in her driveway outside the closed gate. She had huge, heavy barrels and they would probably be difficult to maneuver if she had tried to pull them; she also was a single-mom and hobby farmer with a kid and animals to care for. She is careful.

Reply to
Norminn

Not certain what size your containers are, but I can fit two of my 55 gallon cans in mine and have used it for that purpose. Though, I only have about 100 feet to walk.

Reply to
Meanie

The answer depends on your reason for not walking them down. If you are

80 years old and crippled with arthritis, my answer is different than if you are 25 years old and lazy.

If you are capable of walking, but the containers are awkward, I'd make either a wagon to pull or a cart to push,something like this

A better design though is to move the steering wheels fore and aft. Put two fixed casters in the center. Put the swivel casters one in the front middle, the other in the back middle. This allows fast, easy steering. We use them where I work in sizes from 2 x 4 to 5 x 10. Use large casters.

Carts work well up or down hill, wagons are not as easy going down.

Healthy walking is 10,000 steps a day so this is a good start.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thinking further, if you have a long drive, is it safe to assume you have a huge yard? Thus, is it safe to assume you have a riding mower? Perhaps you can attach a trailer or that wagon I stated and pull with the mower.

Just a thought.

Reply to
Meanie

a Walk-man? Audio device?

Reply to
Meanie

What horsepucky!! I have a electric golf cart, to which I often hook this garden/utility trailer to:

The hitch I made used a 3/8" ring bolt and some lock and fender washers and nuts. Cost about $5 and required I drill a single hole. Besides, you don't need a garage. Golf carts are made to live outdoors and be abused by fat old drunks who can barely see, let alone drive. In short, the damn things are built like Mack trucks and are made to last forever. Mine is over 25 yrs old and looks/works like new. I may not even bother to put my Winter rain cover (w/ zippers and windows) on, this yr. It's not like cold weather or precip is gonna hurt it. BTW, I don't have a garage.

Besides, if you can afford to pave 250 yds of driveway, why do you even care? Pay an illegal alien (oops ...undocumented!) to do it for you. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Okay, next suggestion: a John Deere Gator utility vehicle.

You might find one second hand. They're used a lot on farms and resorts.

Moe DeLoughan

This is just Stormie venting his ignorant hatred of his country's government. Folks like him hate the government, but love collecting their government bennies - Social Security, Medicare, disability checks...

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Our municipal cans have 12" wheels 1.5" wide. The handles are at belt height. Can't beat that.

In 1996, I had my driveway shortened from 2100' to 35'. Now when I take my can to the street, I find it simpler not to tie it to my spare tire and tow it.

Reply to
J Burns

I feel so much better, Sigmund. Now, may I go back to telling you about my mother?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How the heck did they do that? Put it in the dryer under cotton until it shrank?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I remember when the trash company dropped off the recycle container. It and the other container are pretty large.

I yelled out to them, "Where the f*ck am I supposed to put my cars?"

I can fit them in my garage but most have them outside despoiling the landscape.

Reply to
Frank

Did the trash driver have any words of gentle wisdom in reply to your question?

Miss Manners would have worded that a bit more gently, but what the f**k?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wow, how did they do that? Cut a big trench and push the house towards the street?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm going with the clothes dryer on cotton setting theory. Of course, if they invent polyester driveways, I could change that.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

no, he just built a new garage. But now the hike from the house to the new garage is about 2000 feet.

Reply to
Pico Rico

It's now 4 miles to the hen house, and they don't like me shooting from my porch.

Reply to
J Burns

Like Ed, I wonder if steering a wagon downhill on pavement would be convenient.

I don't know what kind of cans you have. Mine has 12" wheels and a plastic rail across the back at belt height. It should work better than a wagon, downhill on pavement.

If I wanted to move two on one trip, I'd lash the rails to a broomstick. A loop around the end of the stick, several turns around the stick and each rail, and tie the cord to the other end of the stick.

If your can wheels are inadequate and a wagon is a nuisance to steer, what about a lightweight two-wheeled truck with light boards tied to it, to hold two cans?

Reply to
J Burns

Yep. That is what the gardeners use at the botanical garden. Not cheap. This one is $10,995:

Cheaper is a used golf cart with platform on the back:

But the OP doesn't have space in his garage for one.

My mom uses a garden wagon. Somewhat like this one:

Maybe the OP could use something to tow it. (There are many listings for this cart on eBay.)

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Can they be left outside? The OP doesn't have any more room in the garage.