Taking apart GE electric stove

I have a GE electric stove model JBP26G*J4 from the late 80s. Two of the burners are working intermittantly, so I want to pull the stove apart to see if I can fix it without calling for help. Does anyone know where I can find instructions for disassembling the stove, and perhaps a schematics and specs for testing which parts are bad?
Thanks for your help, -Ben
Ben wrote:

Almost everyone checks out repairclinic.com first. Reported successes are frequent. HTH
Joe

I checked repairclinic.com, and it suggests replacing the burner and the receptacle. However, I need to take the top off the stove to get to the receptacle, and that's what I'd like help with if possible.

Why not join their forum and ask there. You're much more likely to get an exact answer than in alt.home.repair.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007

I don't see a forum at repairclinic.com. Is there something I'm missing?

What happens when you jiggle the burners? Do they start to go on.
As for the top, don't know specific models but if there is a crack an inch or so down from the top, lift it up at the front. It probably hinges at the back. There's probably a bracket to hold it up when it's up.

No hinges; see my earlier post where I describe how to open the top.

OOps. You're right. I hadn't read it.

Check the parts that mate together where the burner is inserted. Certainly you don't have to take the entire stove apart. When problems like this occur, because of the current you'll often see erosion and melted contacts.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007

I can pull out the burner, but I can't tell for sure whether the contacts are working or not. I can't reach the receptacle where the burners plug in without taking off the top of the stove, which is what I'd like to do next.

If the contacts on the burners look good chances are good the receptacles are ok and your problem lies in the burner control or wiring support.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007

Schematics seem hard to come by. There's a general GE/Hotpoint Range Repair Manual which is of some help GE Part WX10X112 available from most any of the online appliance parts folks.
As for taking the thing apart, it's pretty straight forward. Remove the back covers and the screws holding the rear control panel on each side (2 or 3). Then, open the oven door and there are 5 (I think) screws on the underside of the range top. Then the top just lays back and it's all there in front of you...
If they're intermittant as someone else says sounds more like the control rather than the burner itself. If it were the burner element or the connector, I'd expect it to be pass/fail.