Taking apart a Mini-Maglite

I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel room over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the batteries leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion doesn't look bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I was able to knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap with a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't budge. I don't see any way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The lamp end unscrews Bob

Reply to
Jim

The light is trashed. Saw it apart if you have to to identify the brand of batteries. Then email a picture of the leaking batteries along with a polite note to the mfr.

They'll buy you a new one-- though may require sending the mess to them first...

Reply to
Patrick Cleburne

Are you sure about that? I unscrewed the reflector, but don't see any way to remove the LED assembly. (I neglected to mention it's an LED model, not incandescent, can't believe I left that out)

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Contact the battery manufacturer!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

That's a good idea. They are Duracells, dated "MAR 2013" (I got 2 of them out, and the third one won't budge.) It's a $20-something flashlight.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I wouldn't try oil as the cell has expanded in the tube. Ideas?

Cut the head off a 4" screw, chuck in a drill and try to drill some of the battery core out to collapse it? (an idea).

Reply to
Oren

Battery companies will replace items damaged by corrosion. Send it to them and see what happens.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm thinking just insert a screw into the cell and use a slide hammer.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Bob-

Over the years I have found & "salvaged", repaired or got DuraCell to replace a number of full sized maglites.

I messed around with a few AA incandesant mini-mags but I found them not worth effort even to invoke the DuraCell "If we ever damage your flashlight" claim.

At one poiny, I did a "shoot off" between Duracells" and Energizer alkalines. Same model flashlight stored in the same vehicle. Duracells swelled up, seized up or leaked and failed ........in the same amount of time the Energizers were fine.

I reported the results of my test & problem that Duracells seem to have in Maglites.......... I got a form letter, a check for the flashlight and a coupon for free batteries.

Now I only use Energizers in my Maglites.........and when I find a flashlight (expensive enough to deal with) trashed by Duracells, I just invoke their "warranty" and get it replaced for free along with new batteries.

With the Duracell warranty its just not worth the time to fix them.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

I've done that with a remote before. They didn't replace the remote but sent me a check for about 80% of the remotes value.

Reply to
tom

tom wrote in news:G1DQm.34249$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe01.iad:

Bummer;some remotes are difficult if not impossible to get after a few years of ownership,and "universal" remotes don't work on many functions,if at all. (and how is the value determined???)

Once again,IMO,Duracells leak more often than other brands. I don't use them anymore.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

On the filament versions, the bulb pulls out. Then, the "DO NOT REMOVE" plastic part pulls out. Then, you can use the flat end of a drill bit to push the other part of the DO NOT REMOVE. I havn't tried to dissemble a LED version, they may be totally different.

On the filament bulb mini mag varieties, I often have to dissemble the switch assembly to clean the contacts. The light grows dim, even on fresh batteries. I'm part engineer. I've spent a lot of hours trying to analyze how to clean and service a $10 flashlight.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Been tried before, seldom with any success. Being they are alkalines, be sure and scrub everything and wash hands afterwards. Some dilluted vinegar may help.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the field report. I've also heard Energizers are more dependable. I did buy a load of AAA energizer off ebay, slightly out of date. Many were leakers.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've got a 3AA LED model, and the bulb assembly spins freely. It even slides up and down freely about an 1/8th of an inch.

It has 2 little slots in the top. I tried grabbing it an pulling it out with a pair of tweezers, but I felt like I was about to break the plastic, so that doesn't seem to be the proper method of removal.

You could try Maglite's website, or send them an email about it.

ShadowTek

I have one that I can't get open either. I called Mag Lite once and they said they would replace it for free if it has a specific brand name of batteries in it.

I never sent it in, but try the company.

Reply to
Metspitzer

jee bob. I really thought, after reading the responses to my cabinets post they were going to rip you and tell you to get a life and a new flashlight. Very odd group here. Apparently field stripping a flash light is high on their list of 'need to discuss' issues. My next thread will be titled 'how do I repair (not replace) a leaky flapper valve on my toilet'..There should be high interest in that considering the IQ and temperment here.

Reply to
in2dadark

Smart people don't use Google Groups to participate here. Many will not even respond to a thread from Google, regardless of IQ of a poster.

That is/may be the reason you don't get the answer(s) you desire.

"Very odd group here" - ain't that some shit!

Reply to
Oren

'Very odd group here' - he says that like it is a bad thing! I find this group very educational and useful, and I grew up in the frigging business. The vast (or half-vast) range of different life experiences the regulars on here have had, have given them a range of real-world experience I could never match. I suppose the personality traits and quirks of some of the regulars may be a little scary or offensive to those that have never swung a hammer, but I dealt with people like that on the job sites every day, so it doesn't faze me.

And to bring this back on-thread- I never had a battery leak in a mag-lite so bad that I couldn't bang it out by slamming the closed tail on a board repeatedly. (after removing both bulbs, of course.) I think mag-lite has gone downhill since they went mass-market. Keep meaning to get LED conversions for the ones I have, if I ever find them all.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers