Taking apart a Mini-Maglite

Page 1 of 3

I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel room over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the batteries leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion doesn't look bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I was able to knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap with a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't budge. I don't see any way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?
I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?
Bob

The lamp end unscrews Bob
Jim wrote:

Are you sure about that? I unscrewed the reflector, but don't see any way to remove the LED assembly. (I neglected to mention it's an LED model, not incandescent, can't believe I left that out)
Thanks, Bob

Contact the battery manufacturer!!!!
On the filament versions, the bulb pulls out. Then, the "DO NOT REMOVE" plastic part pulls out. Then, you can use the flat end of a drill bit to push the other part of the DO NOT REMOVE. I havn't tried to dissemble a LED version, they may be totally different.
On the filament bulb mini mag varieties, I often have to dissemble the switch assembly to clean the contacts. The light grows dim, even on fresh batteries. I'm part engineer. I've spent a lot of hours trying to analyze how to clean and service a $10 flashlight.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:32:59 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yeah, I'm thinking the LED must be different - I've taken the little AA-cell maglites apart before (admittedly long ago) and I don't remember there being any gotchas at all.
From memory: unscrew head, remove reflector bowl, bulb, and plastic insert - from other end, unscrew tail-cap, and you're left with a hollow tube with (corroded) batteries in it. Insert something into tube body, smack with a hammer, clean* up afterwards.
* one of my maglites had a Duracell leak inside it. Wish I'd known about the warranty; I cleaned it up and neutralized the leak and thankfully it came back with no problem (little bit of pitting left inside the lamp body) - but a new maglite would have been less trouble.

I've got a 3AA LED model, and the bulb assembly spins freely. It even slides up and down freely about an 1/8th of an inch.
It has 2 little slots in the top. I tried grabbing it an pulling it out with a pair of tweezers, but I felt like I was about to break the plastic, so that doesn't seem to be the proper method of removal.
You could try Maglite's website, or send them an email about it.
http://www.maglite.com/anatomy_spare_AA_LED.asp
Might have to pull the piece out with fingernails. Or, it may be a different design than the 2AA filament bulb designs.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:54:38 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

Factory removable only for the LED.
zxcvbob wrote:

The light is trashed. Saw it apart if you have to to identify the brand of batteries. Then email a picture of the leaking batteries along with a polite note to the mfr.
They'll buy you a new one-- though may require sending the mess to them first...
Patrick Cleburne wrote:

That's a good idea. They are Duracells, dated "MAR 2013" (I got 2 of them out, and the third one won't budge.) It's a $20-something flashlight.
Bob

Bob-
Over the years I have found & "salvaged", repaired or got DuraCell to replace a number of full sized maglites.
I messed around with a few AA incandesant mini-mags but I found them not worth effort even to invoke the DuraCell "If we ever damage your flashlight" claim.
At one poiny, I did a "shoot off" between Duracells" and Energizer alkalines. Same model flashlight stored in the same vehicle. Duracells swelled up, seized up or leaked and failed ........in the same amount of time the Energizers were fine.
I reported the results of my test & problem that Duracells seem to have in Maglites.......... I got a form letter, a check for the flashlight and a coupon for free batteries.
Now I only use Energizers in my Maglites.........and when I find a flashlight (expensive enough to deal with) trashed by Duracells, I just invoke their "warranty" and get it replaced for free along with new batteries.
With the Duracell warranty its just not worth the time to fix them.
cheers Bob
Thanks for the field report. I've also heard Energizers are more dependable. I did buy a load of AAA energizer off ebay, slightly out of date. Many were leakers.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
zxcvbob wrote:

I've done that with a remote before. They didn't replace the remote but sent me a check for about 80% of the remotes value.

Bummer;some remotes are difficult if not impossible to get after a few years of ownership,and "universal" remotes don't work on many functions,if at all. (and how is the value determined???)
Once again,IMO,Duracells leak more often than other brands. I don't use them anymore.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

A lot of people don't know about these folks. It's where I refer anyone looking for a hard to find replacement remote.
http://www.replacementremotes.com /
TDD

A couple months ago I discovered that some Walgreens batteries had leaked in my 10 year old DVD remote and had trashed it. Fortunately my Comcast cable remote has an Aux feature and the instructions even listed the correct code and that's now also my DVD remote. Worked out fine and I now have one less remote to juggle.
zxcvbob wrote:

There is an 800 number on the battery, just call that and they will give you mailing instructions to send it in. It will end up costing you just a couple $ in postage to get it repaired / replaced.
zxcvbob wrote:

I called Duracell. After waiting on hold for a half hour and listening to the worst music in the world and being told repeatedly "your call is very important to us...", they picked up just as I was about to hang up. Took my information over the phone and will be sending me a check for $20 (almost enough to replace the flashlight) and some coupons. They don't want me to send it back -- so I may still try to drill the swollen battery out but it's *awfully* deep in there, and I'll bet the switch doesn't work anymore and it's integrated with the LED assembly.
Bob

Call Maglite and get a two for one deal.