Taking apart a large transformer

...or...."NOT enough" - excuse the typo.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Off in my chunk of the universe his reply seemed reasonable even if better replies came along later. OTOH, you have come across as an asshole and have provided no information of any use at all.

Reply to
B.B.

Some possible ideas:

Two car batteries can do this. You would make a...power supply...going full circle...
Some reading to expand on what the previous poster has said concerning transformers.
This cute..and cheap. I like the variable output set up. A speed controller for a fan motor may be better. It's an inductive load. Sadly, there is NO transformer. Some big automotive alternators put out between one and two HUNDRED amps. Around the house, you're lucky to need seventy or eighty. With a gas engine, you could use this for a portable battery charger.

which was found here:

You'd have to add a high frequency superimposed wave to the output for welding aluminium, though. A flow guage is nice to have for the gas..

I hope this guy never gets seduced by the dark side of the force..long download but worth it.

mike

Reply to
m II
50 lbs? We have it by the bin full. Mostly #6 to 650 MCM. I beleive you would have to leave a bin and then pick it up full later to compete with the current scrapper.
Reply to
Gymy Bob

You sure spent a lot of time trying to convince me you don't knwo what I am talking about...LOL

You obviously know nothing about scrap metals. The purity of the copper is not related to the price. It is the purity of the mix. Copper with anything mixed in with it or bonded to it is classed as "mixed copper". You may have to pay the scrapper to haul it away.

There

Reply to
Gymy Bob

Uh huh.

yawn.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Maybe, if they are line voltage AC capacitors. If they are polarized, for DC or pulsed DC, with one terminal marked +positive and the other -negative, they are electrolytic capacitors, without PCBs.

Electrolytic capacitors have a conductive electrolyte in them, and if they leak they can cause a short. I had a television set damaged that way from a leaking electrolytic capacitor - ZAP!

CM

Reply to
CM

Thanks Mike, super interesting stuff.

igor

Ignoramus7928

But still what???? You just can't get your mind around the issue that you posted comments that had NO Bearing on the OP's question........ No PCB's anywhere in the stated unit. The UNIVERSE knew this before the first reply post happened. Apparently you did not, but posted your lack of knowledge anyway......

Me

Reply to
Me

The OP is aware of something he knew less about before this thread. There is nothing wrong with knowledge.

In the 1980s, there was a cartoonist named Kliban, sort of a predecessor of Gary Larson (Far Side). In one of his cartoons, there's a Neanderthal sort of creature using a long stick to open a book from a distance, as if he's afraid it might bite him. Sounds like you.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I took apart a large transformer some time ago. I don't know if it contained any PCB. If it did, it was in solid form. The reason that I took it apart was that I couldn't get it to transform from the cyborg to the jet plane. :-)

Reply to
willshak

...blush...

mike

Reply to
m II

If the electrolyte conducted it would be a resistor.

Reply to
Gymy Bob

You NEVER cease to amaze..

A few GymyBobisms..new additions daily: ======================================

At 11.6 volts a 12v battery is about 50-70% charged still.

Polish solar panels are what americans called "flashlights"

Propane will disapate and freeze when it evaporates.

Gasoline is not nearly as volatile as hydrogen.

Many people have browsers that economize the download

Let's say youre solar cell was trying to put out

14.3 volts DC and you stuck a 10 ohm meter in series with a charged 13.8 volt DC battery.

This is power grid induction through capacitive proximity

A thought I have is rain water from a roof on a three story home through a micro-turbine.

Breakers are good for one time usage of one fault and then they need to be replaced for any warrantied usage.

If the breaker interupts a fault, it should be replaced.No warranty will honoured after that.

I don't have a link at this time

There are no hydrogen molecules in water and the oxygen in water isn't flammable either.

NiCads and NiMh batterries are designed to take a current charge forever.

Did they have electricity back in 1994?

I have been around so long with this stuff I believe I invented the diode in

1941 but I am not familiar with the solar panel usage requirements of them. (no P & N substrate explanations please. I wrote the GE manual...LOL)

NOTE: do not pass ground wires through metal holes or cable clamps with two screws on a metal surface.

There is **NOT*** enough energy in a lightning bolt to power your house for more than an hour...if that. Do the math. The figures escape me but let's say it puts out a roughly MWatt of power for

100 nanoseconds? 100 x 10-9 x 1 x 106 / 3600 (sec/hr) = 0.0027 wH oooops.... Wouldn't light your home for a 1/2 second. OK..OK.. multiply the figures time 100 or 1000. Now it would light a 100W bulb for 1 second.

The IEEE-232 standards were never followed or known by many.

Fossil fuels are still renewable and being cxreated as we speak.

Children are venerially created.

If you want to discuss this then fine, otherwise go f*ck yourself like your mother did.

Can you let go of my dick before it explodes on ya, goofball?

Petroleum is not related to Natural gas.

I would rather work at my $100/hour job than at chopping wood for hours to save $3/hour

I have no license, I wire and inspect other's wiring for a job and work for a medium size electrical utility.

The majority prefers top posting.

Get your tear ducts flushed by a knowledgeable optometrist.

Not many materials have the huge exponential resistance/heat curve aluminum does. Overload doesn't make it glow like copper...it flashes and explodes.

A bathroom fan motor would never push hot air down ten feet or cold up ten feet.

Bathroom fans have a hard time pushing 55 cfm through a 3-4" pipe 20 horizontal feet. They are made to vent smells and humid air horizontally only.

Why not spend the money on a contract with the grid company and get an exclusive line to your house and never have brownouts.

Usenet rules dictate top posting for readability

Many cell modems are set up to filter bottom posts out.

Cell modems do not cut off anything.

What security flaws. (refering to Outlook Express)

Bottom posting was the was in the 70s and 80s before threading browsers were available cheap (like OE)

What is a PMW?

10 pounds per gallon Imperial. That gallon is totally unique to the US....ooops..I think all gallons are unique to the US now.

The standard Imperial gallon the whole world used weighs 10 pounds exactly.

The copper isn't worth more than 5 cents per pound. It is classed a mixed copper and nobody wants it.

Hey moron! The copper is considered "mixed" copper and is worth about $0.02 per pound, if he seperates it all.

Just don't ever lose weight. Toxins are stored in your fat cells.

Did you know, **NO***, I repeat ***NO*** death has ever been related to PCBs?

Insulated square copper wires from a dry transformer are not 99% copper and take a lot of work to remove the insulation.

I have tonnes of insulated copper wire if you want it. I think you could almost have for the picking it up. How many bins can you take per year

Can't this tranformer be used by somebody to generate a second 120V from a single phase 120V inverter? It sounds pretty beefy.

BTW: once you knock the wedge out of the coil form the laminations will be easier to get out. This keeps them from buzzing until the varnish and other impregnations go into it.

All you guys have a bad Christmas or Jewish and didn't see Santa or something?

Run each signal twisted with a ground for noise. RD twisted with gnd as a pair, TD twisted around ground as a pair etc... This means signal/logic ground not power ground or case ground, if they are different. Do not connect the other ends of the ground conductors.

Tar pitch in a flourescent ballast does ***NOT*** contain PCBs and probably never did.

Religion is not genetic or even herodigious

I believe the warmest part of the lake is just below the ice. As the water frezes it rises to the top and joins the other ice formations.

Gel cell won't cut it when it comes to putting out 100A or more. They cook in ne spot and the rest of the electrolyte doesn't circulate fast enough

If the electrolyte conducted it would be a resistor.

Reply to
m II

Bob, Bob, Bob....

It does conduct. I know it conducts because I've had to clean and repair hardware where a capacitor burped up electrolyte onto circuitry. Circuitry that didn't work anymore because the electrolyte was conducting.

Please stop guessing.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Geee. I would take a few brain cells to conclude your cap was defective if it burped. Ya' think that would be cause you have conductive electrolyte? Maybe the electrolyte was full of carbon after the internal fault?

OK.. let's start at the beginning. A capacitor is two conductive metal plates separated by an insulating medium. Now add electrolyte. Did ya' get a resistor? Ever put your ohmmeter (do I need to explain an ohmmeter also?) across a capacitor? It measures infinity after charging to the supply voltage because the electrolyte is an insulator.

See how that works? That wasn't too hard. Was it? Now try to remember for next time. Are you an electrician too?

If you want to be insulting, make sure it isn't yourself you are ridiculing.

Reply to
Gymy Bob

You truly amaze. This is the second bit of misinformation in just a few hours. Electrolytes make pretty GOOD conductors. That's probably WHY they are called electrolytes. Now, sometimes we DON'T want current to flow, so the **DIELECTRIC** was invented.

In some (all?) electrolytic caps, the dielectric is an oxide layer.. This is a very thin layer that allows good storage capacity in a smaller physical size. The conductive electrolyte makes up the negative side of the thing.

How does it feel to know so much and be WRONG about all of it?

mike

Reply to
m II

But it wasn't, Bob. Read on...

Um, yes they are.

It reads infinity because there's an oxide layer on the anode. Oxide, at least in this case, is an insulator.

I can play with the big wires or the small wires. Same electrons either way.

Trying real hard not to...

here's a quote from the Elna capacitor website at:

Aluminum electrolytic capacitors are made by layering the electrolytic paper between the anode and cathode foils, and then coiling the result. The process of preparing an electrode facing the etched anode foil surface is extremely difficult. Therefore, the opposing electrode is created by filling the structure with an electrolyte. Due to this process, the electrolyte essentially functions as the cathode. The basic functional requirements for the electrolyte are as follows: (1) Chemically stable when it comes in contact with materials used in the anode, cathode, and electrolytic paper. (2) Easily wets the surfaces of the electrode. (3) Electrically conductive. (4) Has the chemical ability to protect the anode oxide thin film and compensate for any weaknesses therein. (5) Low volatility even at high temperatures. (6) Long-term stability and characteristics that take into consideration such things as toxicity.

Take a look at #4, Bob. It says that electrolyte is electrically conductive.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yup, I got that one wrong. You were correct. Sorry. Wrong technology. Thanx for that information and correction!

Reply to
Gymy Bob

Ah, thanks for driving the point home. Will killfile in due course (even if only a blow-in in just this thread).

Tim

Tim Williams