Taking apart a large transformer

Page 8 of 9

This is Turtle.
Well if they are dry packs rip them apart.
Use a grinder on the welded seam and a hack saw on the coil packs. If you use a torch on the case you will get bad vapor from inside.
Check the capasitor out for being dry pack also . The same story for them.
TURTLE

Thanks. I will post pictures if I do rip it apart!

and another DUFUS chimes in............ where do these guys live, before they show up here and display their lack of knowledge.......Maybe we could send them a CLUE in the mail........
Me
Gee wonder what a 8KW UPS is worth?
Probably more than you would get for it's parts at a scrapyard.
Just paid $120 for a 3KW and $100 for a 2.2KW APC rack mount units. Batteries were bad and sold as such.
Eight new batteries were just over $200 delivered.
Both units are up and running 24 / 7, one at our retail shop and one at our home both supporting a phone system and two Novell servers each.
Hugh

Great question. First of all, everything in my house is already on UPSes. From a previous deal where I bought a $45 lot of 28 APC UPSes, bought new batteries, and made $2,500 profit. I have a few more UPSes languishing in my garage, waiting to be used.
As for the latest UPS, I bought a military surplus lot for $80:
1. Clary OnGuard 3 phase UPS about 250 lbs. 2. Clary OnGuard 1 phase UPS about 250 lbs 3. Ferrups 3 kVa UPS about 200 lbs without batteries 4. Several garbage typewriters and one new in box typewriter 5. 8kVa mystery UPS without front panel, with a battery bank. It is not repairable without the front panel. I now think that it is not Ferrups. It is a 500 lbs monster. 6. A big badass Canon color copier, about 200 lbs.
That item 5 is what I am demolishing. I may be able to sell the 250V battery bank to some homepower types. No batteries though. I do not think that I can sell the UPS proper. So I am taking it apart in order to, first, be able to handle it without risk of injury, second to get useful screws and wires etc, and third to sell good parts like isolation transformer or capacitors.

Ignoramus22732 wrote:

Is a three phase unit ? - might be a great unit for two phase to three phase need or Wye to Delta or voltage to voltage work.
I used to use big ones on machines I wroked and designed on - wish I had one for just that.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
On 3 Jan 2005 16:53:08 GMT, Ignoramus22732

Kind of ashame to take it apart, there are probably a lot of tesla experimenters that would give eye teeth for that xfmr.
If you where close to me I'd buy it off your hands myself.

I dunno. I think that in reality, no one needs these things, a thought such as "would be nice to play with one" probably crosses minds of a few people, but not many of those actually want to acquire such a behemoth.
If you have a reasoned opinion otherwise, maybe you can suggest how I can try to find people who need it.
I live in Western suburbs of Chicago.

Post an add in your local bargainmart or do a web search for tesla clubs in your area.
If you where in KY I'd buy it, I've been looking for a good deal on a older pole pig transformer and pole capacitors for a couple years. Handy if you want to make a rail gun or shrink quarters.
i keep seeing reviews and raves about this naturalisproducts.com and organiconline.com.sg . many people are discussing in beauty forums and magazines have positive reviews on this . but this thing ain't new, its been around for 20 years! anyone tried can feedback to me on exactly how good it is?
---------------------------------------- <quote> snipped-for-privacy@raterenterprise.com can anyone help me please, am looking for the local distributor or any shop selling the naturalis range of skin and body care products, from this company http://www.naturalisproducts.com . looking for this urgently. for those who have not come across it, its some foodbased anti-aging products. i googled for this and received result showing its available at http://www.organiconline.com.sg . i need this urgently but shipping from singapore will take some time, if anyone is distributing this please contact me at snipped-for-privacy@raterenterprise.com urgently. i have a group of us looking to buy this. thanks!

Amateur radio operators are often into doing interesting things with electricity. Wiring up the cat....stuff like that. Maybe he could mention it in a ham radio newsgroup.

Maybe you would be interested in my capacitors then.
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/capacitors /

Hmm link doesn't work for me.

I might want those.
Can't say I have a use for the transformer though (even if I knew the ratings), it's just too big!
Tim
-- "I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!" - Homer Simpson Website @ http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:18:00 -0600, "Tim Williams"

See this thing has a big contactor in it. If it does you can sell that on ebay. Also look for large diode packs also a good ebay item. I know those caps will sell on ebay because I've bought a bunch just like those for amplifier projects. Hmm might have some big IGBT devices on there used in the frequency switching circuit another ebay item.
That transformer you can just chisel the windings off. Latter you might wind a new primary for say 220 and make a great welder or serious DC power supply.
Another use for that transformer would be for solar houses as a step up transformer for the battery racks.

What does that contactor do? What is it?

Thanks. Yes, I will pull it apart and try to sell various parts that I do not need.

I am pretty fascinated by the idea of having my own welder. Since there are many windings on this transformer already, it just might have one low voltage winding, and with a few big ass diodes I would have a serious DC power source.
I am now making a subpanel in my garage, so, it would all fit with having my own welding machine. Of course, I need to learn a lot about what is involved in welding equipment. Great idea.

That would not be for me...
All in all, great thoughts!
On 4 Jan 2005 19:44:01 GMT, Ignoramus28225

Its a big relay, a solenoid actuated switch (sorta)

You'll probably have to wind another primary sized for the welding load.
On the secondary side you might be using something like #4 or bigger wire, and you'll have to add an inductor.
Look around on the web you should be able to use that transformer form for something really cool and dangerous

Oh, I see. I have not gotten to it yet, I suppose. I would not miss it.

I will check out. This UPS is good for 60 amps incoming 208 volts.
Ignoramus28225 wrote:

Welding is a skill that takes time and preferably instruction to master. I suggest that if you want to learn how to weld, you take a community college course.
The transformer is probably sized to make a decent welder, but the task is not trivial. You'll have to figure out the turns ratio, calculate the size of wire and number of turns for the new secondary, wind it, probably make an inductor and deal with the leads.
So, one thing at a time. Learn to weld, research building your own welder and go from there. Don't try to do it all at once.

I agree completely.

I hope that I can handle that. It is just simple math.

Okay. At first, I want to understand, basically, what is it that is necessary for declaring an apparatus a welding machine. What are the requirements for a good welding machine? DC, AC, amps, does it need to be adjustable voltage, etc.