Taking apart a large transformer

LOL...good luck with that one! We scrap surplus copper everyday in my business.

Reply to
Gymy Bob

Gee wonder what a 8KW UPS is worth?

Probably more than you would get for it's parts at a scrapyard.

Just paid $120 for a 3KW and $100 for a 2.2KW APC rack mount units. Batteries were bad and sold as such.

Eight new batteries were just over $200 delivered.

Both units are up and running 24 / 7, one at our retail shop and one at our home both supporting a phone system and two Novell servers each.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Prescott

The historical aspect of this just HAS to be remembered.

================================================= Only metric prefixes for 10+6 or more have an upper-case abbreviation (e.g., M = 10+6, G = 10+9, etc.). In particular, note that the prefix m indicates

10-3 and M indicates 10+6. The difference between an upper-case M and a lower-case m is nine orders of magnitude! One should be warned that American manufacturers of capacitors often use "mF" or "MF" to indicate microfarads, a practice that is both incorrect and misleading.

mike

Reply to
m II

A lot of that stuff is very carcinogenic when burned. The plastic coating on much of the wire causes great danger to living things when burned. Egg shells become very thin when the bird has been exposed to the burnt chemicals, so they break during nesting.

Please don't burn insulated wire or plastic. It's disgusting stuff AND now illegal in many places.

mike

Reply to
m II

I agree, it is a holy mess. m stands for milli. u stands for micro. n stands for nano.

Ignoramus22732

I spent a multitude of hours as a kid taking stuff apart, including small transformers. (Dry types) Transformers are one of the least fun things to tear into.

With the size of the copper wire you say it has, it must have a high-amp output. Is it stepup or stepdown? If stepdown, it could possibly make a great custom arc or spot welder, or an electroplating supply.

Ken Grunke

Reply to
Ken Grunke

Could not agree more. Pictures of both transformers (the big one and the isolation one) are at

I just uploaded them.

I have no idea if it is step up or stepdown, looks like it is for many things.

Ignoramus22732

Is a three phase unit ? - might be a great unit for two phase to three phase need or Wye to Delta or voltage to voltage work.

I used to use big ones on machines I wroked and designed on - wish I had one for just that.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Yes the PCB problem is related to oil filled transformers. if you can ID it you should be able to get the specs from the manufacturer to determine if it is oil filled or dry (maybe you already know). If it is dry then no problem. If oil filled and has PCB, make UPS take it back since they shouldn't have given or sold it to you.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I'm not Doug, but oil is used in larger transformer for cooling. PCBs were added to improve heat transfer. I have no idea what the smallest size of oil filled transformers are but larger ones are way bigger than 200 pounds. 8KVA may be a little small for an oil filled transformer.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

These seem to be electrolytic capacitors rather than the oil filled type -- no PCBs.

Reply to
SJF

Geez ig. You sure stirred up a hornets' nest here. Getting to be one of those long (remembered) threads. BTW what program/workflow gets those photos on line so fast? I Emailed you at both addresses you posted but have had no reply. Still interested in that starter motor?

Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Erm. ALL electrical, and plumbing (aside from the soldered joints) copper for that matter, is better than 99% pure copper.

Hell Bob, if you have some, I'll gladly pay you $0.05/lb, and shipping too!

Tim

Tim Williams

Ken, I use my own perl script to index photos. Here it is. As for a starter motor, I think that all my motored stuff works well by now...

====================================================================== #!/usr/bin/perl

sub index_dir { my $dirname = shift @_; my $title = shift @_ || "\u$dirname"; opendir( DIR, $dirname );

print STDERR "Indexing '$dirname'...\n";

# system( "mv -f index.html index.html.old" ); # system( "mv -f full.html full.html.old" ); print "opening $dirname/index.html\n"; open( INDEX, ">$dirname/index.html" ) || die "cannot open index.html"; open( FULL, ">$dirname/full.html" ) || die "cannot open full.html";

my $prefix = " $title "; $prefix .= "$title\n\n" if $title ne "."; $prefix .= "Click on the thumbnail images to enlarge\n"; print INDEX $prefix;

my $intro = "$dirname/intro.txt"; if ( -r $intro ) { open( INTRO, $intro );

while ( ) { s/CURRENT_DIRECTORY/$ENV{'URL'}/g; print INDEX; } }

if ( !$with_pix ) { print INDEX "This is the index of pictures. Click here to see all of them at once. (takes a while to load.\n"; }

print FULL $prefix . "This is the full index of pictures. Click here for the filename list (fast loading.\n\n";

my @files = (); my @subdirs = ();

my $fn;

while ( $fn = readdir( DIR ) ) { if ( ($fn =~ /^(.*)\.jpg$/i || $fn =~ /^(.*)\.jpeg$/i || $fn =~ /^(.*)\.gif$/i ) && !($fn =~ /^-/) ) { my ($dev, $ino, $mode) = stat( "$dirname/$fn" ); if ( $mode & 0x04 ) { # readable by world push @files, $fn; }

} elsif ( -d "$dirname/$fn" ) { if ( !($fn =~ /^\./) ) { push @subdirs, $fn; } } }

my $start = ""; if ( $dirname ne "." ) { $start = "Back\n"; }

foreach $fn (sort @subdirs) { $start .= " \u$fn\n"; } print INDEX $start;

foreach $fn (sort @files) { if ( ($fn =~ /^(.*)\.jpg$/i || $fn =~ /^(.*)\.jpeg$/i || $fn =~ /^(.*)\.gif$/i) && !($fn =~ /^-/) ) { $name = $1; } my $text = ""; if ( open( ANNOTATION, "$name.txt" ) ) { while ( ) { $text .= $_; } close( ANNOTATION ); } else { $text = $fn; }

if ( $with_pix ) { my $tn = "-THUMBNAIL.$fn"; if ( ! -f "$dirname/$tn" ) { print "Converting $fn to $tn...\n"; system( "convert -geometry 20%x20% $dirname/$fn $dirname/$tn" ); } if ($text ne $fn ) { print INDEX "$text\n\n"; } else { print INDEX "\n\n"; }

} else { print INDEX "$fn\n\n"; if ( $text ne $fn ) { print INDEX $text . "\n\n"; } } print FULL "$text\n\n"; #print "Processed $fn...\n"; }

close( INDEX ); close( FULL ); closedir( DIR );

foreach $fn (sort @subdirs) { index_dir( "$dirname/$fn" ); }

}

$url = $ENV{'URL'};

$with_pix = 0; if ( @ARGV[0] eq '--with-pix' ) { shift @ARGV; $with_pix = 1; }

index_dir( ".", @ARGV[0] );

Reply to
Ignoramus28225

A small but vocal group of citizens in upstate NY is lobbying for a law which allows the shooting of people at campsites who spend an entire weekend burning plastic shopping bags. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I see. Thanks. I am curious, how do they make 1.2 FARAD capacitors that they sell for car music. It would seem that if they were made using the same technology, they would need to be like 250 times bigger than my capacitors!

Ignoramus28225

Cool, how do you use it, ie. where do you run the thing and with what parameters, I'm familiar with perl but haven't taken your script apart yet :-)

/Morten

Reply to
Morten

I run it under linux, in the directory where the photos are. I run it like this:

index-pix.pl --with-pix "Picture Index"

that creates thubmnail pages and goes through all subdirectories recursively.

Ignoramus28225

Reply to
Warren Weber

Kind of ashame to take it apart, there are probably a lot of tesla experimenters that would give eye teeth for that xfmr.

If you where close to me I'd buy it off your hands myself.

Reply to
Modat22