Taking apart a large transformer

No, I will use it as a grounding wire leading to the ground bar at my main panel.

What is that?

It has a lot of connectors. I ppulled another, isolation looking transformer (1:1) from the unit, will probably sell that.

This one looks like a multi voltage unit.

thanks for the tip!

Ignoramus22732

No deaths? OK. But, why is it considered dangerous?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

But the GUY who disassembled the transformers is okay, right?

Maybe there's PCBs. Maybe not. If there are PCBs, there might be enough to be detectable. If so, diluted 1-trillion-to-one in a nearby pond might be sufficient to give one fish a headache.

Bah! Who cares?

Reply to
JerryMouse

This is Turtle.

i , first before starting to take apart this transformer contact your Medical insurance company and add on a Cancer Policy for you and the family members for your may need it if you spill any of this liquid at your house or on you. The transformer oil in not cancer causing stuff till it is used over a year or so and then it become PCB . the stuff is activated by the electricity going through it and become a Cancer causing stuff after they have been used. Now here is a chance to get rid of a unwanted Brother in law or kind folks by just getting them to take it apart and get the oil on them. In Short order your in the class of getting cancer soon.

So if you interested in keeping your family safe and not have cancer. You need to have it hauled off to the Power company work station and dump it out when they are not looking and they have the means to dispose of it properly. There maybe $30 or $40 of copper in it but having Cancer will wipe out that profit real fast.

i , DON"T TOUCH THAT STUFF AND GET RID OF IT.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I've heard OLD veteran teachers say they think there's something in the water - people no longer have reading comprehension skills. Luckily, you and two others here seem to escaped this fate.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thank you. Keep scratching. Be happy. Go back to sleep.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You believe he stated that? Go back & read it again. For those of us not familiar with transformers in general, there is no clue as to whether it contained liquid. But never mind. You may *think* it's a problem that I suggested he proceed with caution, but in fact, it was *not* a problem. You just needed to be heard.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Actually, I'd like to know WHO the guy was, not how he is. Please provide a way of contacting him, since you seem to be privy to all the information surrounding this event.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

This must be Turtle!

Turtle, you're about 8 hours too late. Read the rest of the posts. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

This is approximately 3x8 mm rectangular wire. Huge cross section.

Yes, I also have a growing pile of old recycled bolts etc. Very nifty.

Ignoramus22732

Thanks Turtle. That is a dry transformer, there is no liquid in it.

Ignoramus22732

From

"Unfortunately, Japan's PCB history is tinged with tragedy. In 1968, an accidental mixing of PCB with rice oil affected 14,000 people and resulted in 300 deaths."

Reply to
Tony Wesley

How about these huge capacitors from the demolished UPS?

See

The cup is pictured for size comparison. Are they 4.1 farad each or they are 4.1 millifarad? They are rated for

300V. Are there PCB in them? i
Reply to
Ignoramus22732

Great question. First of all, everything in my house is already on UPSes. From a previous deal where I bought a $45 lot of 28 APC UPSes, bought new batteries, and made $2,500 profit. I have a few more UPSes languishing in my garage, waiting to be used.

As for the latest UPS, I bought a military surplus lot for $80:

  1. Clary OnGuard 3 phase UPS about 250 lbs.
  2. Clary OnGuard 1 phase UPS about 250 lbs
  3. Ferrups 3 kVa UPS about 200 lbs without batteries
  4. Several garbage typewriters and one new in box typewriter
  5. 8kVa mystery UPS without front panel, with a battery bank. It is not repairable without the front panel. I now think that it is not Ferrups. It is a 500 lbs monster.
  6. A big badass Canon color copier, about 200 lbs.

That item 5 is what I am demolishing. I may be able to sell the 250V battery bank to some homepower types. No batteries though. I do not think that I can sell the UPS proper. So I am taking it apart in order to, first, be able to handle it without risk of injury, second to get useful screws and wires etc, and third to sell good parts like isolation transformer or capacitors.

Ignoramus22732

Wrong! It's worth over $1/lb, and any recycler will gladly accept it.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Ok, you seem to have made the right decision. I am trying to remember what the transformer looks like. Is it a toroid or a regular rectangular shape. I think the transformer on my big unit is a toroid. I don't know what the core material is. Could be ferrite. I know there was a bunch of tapped windings.

Are you in an area where you could throw it on a trash fire and burn out all the insulation. Then you could see what is there. I used to do this when I lived in Portland, OR and had a wood furnace. Still have some BIG copper strap from a burned out transformer.

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

Thanks!

It is rectangular, but with many windings.

there is also a 30 lbs isolation transformer.

Absolutely NOT.

That's what I want, to take it apart and take the copper strap, it is super useful around the house. About 3x8 mm in cross section.

Ignoramus22732

The 'm' is a leftover from the olden days, when it meant 'micro', not the metric standard 'milli'. Milli is not used in capacitor rating. Pico, micro then Farads. New capacitors would be probably marked with the 'u' instead of 'm'

So, they are 4100 microfarad capacitors

They are rated for

I don't know. Maybe Tantalum or Aluminium oxide?

These guys found an interesting use for them:

mike

Reply to
m II

If they are a metal can type they are most likely full of PCB oil unless stated otherwise on the metal cans.

I doubt they are 4 farads. More likely 4 microfarads uf.

Reply to
Gymy Bob

YOU just needed to read his original post. He stated it pretty clear he was looking at laminations and windings and paper. If it even remotely was a oil filled transformer, it was a little late for that.

environmental

Reply to
Gymy Bob