Tailand enters the space race

In high school I played with something like that. Broke whole bunch of window panes. I was not punished. Principal was forgiving.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I don't think it has the distance to reach orbit ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Would be good show done in the dark.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

We dabbled with all sorts of home made rockets in the early 60s. I am surprised we survived with all limbs intact. We had some zinc dust (for sulfur and zinc dust fuel) but it was hard to come by. Our go to fuel was potassium nitrate and sugar. The trick was making nozzles but a crossman cylinder was a ready made rocket motor case (drill out the end to 1/4") You could saw off the end and press it into an aluminum pipe from old lawn furniture but they blew out, even if we epoxied them in (that expansion rate thing).

Reply to
gfretwell

Per Uncle Monster:

+1
Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Amazon drone?

Reply to
My 2 Cents

I don't get it. It seems to be exploding, but then it takes off pretty well, and that must be the intended payload because that's the part with the parachute.

Reply to
Micky

The KNO3 and sugar in a crossman cylinder was a pretty effective engine with more power than the Estes motor. You could put one in a Bering cigar tube and never see it again. We shot them out of a piece of 1" pipe and they really went for a ride. We never really got the spin we wanted for stability tho. You never knew where they were going to go.

Reply to
gfretwell

or homemade electric detonator. I used to make my own igniters with a fine wire wrapped around a match head. A lantern battery would supply enough current to heat the fine wire thus igniting the match head and whatever else the match head was touching. I was a regular little terrorist. ?(???)?

A CO2 cylinder will really go up if you use Potassium chlorate and sugar. We thought that would make better rocket fuel but it blew up, shattering the pipe and blowing out the concrete block we had it in

Reply to
gfretwell

Making exposives isn't complicated. The easiest explosive you can make is with furtilizer...Ammonium nitrate. Mix in some diesel fuel and you have a very powerful exposive. This is what took down the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City.

Bombadier Eagle

Reply to
Eagle

That video was a farce Micky. lol

Reply to
Eagle

...and you could send it to the Sun, if it was night time! ?

Reply to
bob_villain

During the war, our toys were real live grenades, ammo, artillery shells. Guns of all sorts we found in the field. Many kids got killed, maimed. Once I walked into a claymore field, luckily I came out of it without detonating any one. Still makes me shudder thinking about. Some one was yelling at me to see those trip wires and not to touch it. I owe my life to him, I am sure.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The thing nobody mentions is ammatol is just a booster. You need a high explosive to set it off and a low order pipe bomb won't do the trick. McVeigh had a block of C4.

Reply to
gfretwell

I was behind the scenes then Tony. :/

73
Reply to
Eagle

It happens that snipped-for-privacy@aol.com formulated :

I didn't want to mention that here...there are crazy mofo's around.

Reply to
Eagle

Eagle presented the following explanation :

BTW, what bands do you favor Tony? I use 17 meters or 40 meters mostly. Right now My steppIR is down, so no DX till I get the driven element back together. One of the fiberglass tubes on the driven element box flew off in a big wind storm we had a few months back. My Tower is nested until I get that tube back in place.

Reply to
Eagle

'Drop a grenade in that and you got ya something !

Reply to
gfretwell

I think it was pretty good!

Reply to